CancelReport This Post

Please fill out the form below with your name, e-mail address and the reason(s) you wish to report this post.

Crossword Help Forum
Forum Rules

bilbow

25th April 2022, 09:37
Last one:

21a Tropical butterflies, for example. (6, 2, 6)

F _ G _ R _ / O _ / S _ E _ C _

The answer would appear to be FIGURE OF SPEECH but I really don't understand why. Any suggestions

1 of 7  -   Report This Post

kenhiggs

25th April 2022, 11:07
That puzzled me - I assumed an &Lit clue, but have no idea how it is intended to work.
2 of 7  -   Report This Post

buddy

25th April 2022, 11:46
A trope is a figure of speech, and tropical is the adjectival form. Not sure where the rest of the clue fits in.
3 of 7  -   Report This Post

buddy

25th April 2022, 11:48
Maybe butterfly as in butterflies in the stomach is a figure of speech? Anyway, not a good clue I think.
4 of 7  -   Report This Post

chrise

25th April 2022, 11:50
an allusion to "butterflies in the stomach" perhaps? that;s a figure of speech, but the clue still seems incomplete.
5 of 7  -   Report This Post

buddy

25th April 2022, 11:52
Well, OK, maybe it's growing on me. Not real butterflies, but tropical (trope-related) butterflies are a figure of speech. A little too cute but fair enough,
6 of 7  -   Report This Post

kenhiggs

25th April 2022, 14:55
The adjectival form mentioned earlier is confirmed in the BRB, so I agree that the clue is sound. However, I think that the clue would sit better in The Times Club Monthly Puzzle. Bit of a stretch on a Sunday morning for a lad with a morning head!
7 of 7  -   Report This Post