CancelReport This Post

Please fill out the form below with your name, e-mail address and the reason(s) you wish to report this post.

Crossword Help Forum
Forum Rules

tyke51

16th January 2022, 22:06
Well done Patrich - bad luck Buddy, I thought it would be close! Great word choice Paul - Google says `Take` has 671 synonyms - 672 if you include Tyke!
Appreciate the votes - well played in the Cricket Mattrom - we can`t play Test Cricket any more! I like Ian Smith as a bloke but ... his NZ accent does tend to irritate!
51 of 62  -   Report This Post

geeker

16th January 2022, 22:13
Well done, patrich! Thanks to paul for hosting. Strong field of clues submitted, interesting that the very first one wound up on top. Vote from spike2 appreciated.
52 of 62  -   Report This Post

mattrom

16th January 2022, 22:35
Well done, Patrich, appreciated for your vote. Likewise those from Tyke, Jono, FJ and Buddy.
Cheers, Paul. Are you back to work as normal now?
53 of 62  -   Report This Post

paul

16th January 2022, 22:51
Thanks for asking Mattrom. Up to a point. At least I can fulfil my duties as occasional MC here….
54 of 62  -   Report This Post

patrich

16th January 2022, 23:01
That was a very pleasant surprise, thanks everyone for your votes! Very unlucky buddy, your #18 was one of several really good ones.

Thanks paul for your inspired choice of word, the small ones are often the best. Incidentally, I went to the other place too, but we at least have to acknowledge their existence (nice choir!). I will look at the outtakings in the morning. Thank again.
55 of 62  -   Report This Post

paul

16th January 2022, 23:22
@Patrich; which college and when and what subject (if you’ don’t mind my curiosity….)?
56 of 62  -   Report This Post

patrich

17th January 2022, 08:15
Paul, Worcester, matriculated 1975, Modern Languages (French, German and rowing … not necessarily in that order). How about you?
57 of 62  -   Report This Post

chrise

17th January 2022, 09:07
Thanks paul and congrats patrich.

Thanks for the votes tyke, jono, geeker, and patrich. On reflection, "Dodd" might have been better than "Livingstone"!
58 of 62  -   Report This Post

paul

17th January 2022, 09:13
Patrich - LMH 1982 matric After science A-levels, started doing PPP switched to PPE after Prelims. Took me 3 years to figure out that an arts essay was supposed to take 20 hours not 10 mins as science demanded. It was still women only till 1979 I believe. Loved the gardens at Worcester. Had a good mate there. Was never up early enough to do rowing, but another friend at LMH was big into it. Still coaches it in Oxford. Tim Beechey-Newman if you’re still active.
A lot of the guys on here are Science/Maths graduates/ professors.
59 of 62  -   Report This Post

patrich

17th January 2022, 09:41
Yes paul, most of the colleges went ‘co-ed’ the year after I left, including Worcester. Just coincidence … I think. I used to loiter around St. Anne’s more than LMH.

Not still rowing now, but my teenage sons (second time around!) have just started. I was a career banker, so I know something about numbers, but I’ve always been more of a words / etymology guy, hence the life-long cryptic crossword obsession.
60 of 62  -   Report This Post