CancelReport This Post

Please fill out the form below with your name, e-mail address and the reason(s) you wish to report this post.

Crossword Help Forum
Forum Rules

muraria

8th January 2022, 15:42
Glad to help, nelson
11 of 30  -   Report This Post

cranberryboat

8th January 2022, 15:48
Thanks muraria - got it! I'd thought along those lines but didn't pursue it as I had a couple of wring extra words (eg "sort" in 5d) - d'oh! All very nice, thanks to Serpent.
12 of 30  -   Report This Post

muraria

8th January 2022, 15:56
Hi cb,
Yes, I had 'sort' too to start with for 5d and was wondering for a while whether to take more than one letter per extra word. Writing down and staring at the first four extra words in clue order gave it away for me.
13 of 30  -   Report This Post

cranberryboat

8th January 2022, 16:22
Bit slow today - only just realised the "self-referential" bit of the hint, very clever!
14 of 30  -   Report This Post

brendan

10th January 2022, 08:20
Can I get a parse for ...

21a - Unchristian cannibals say disembowelled macaque had upset scientists (10)

I have "unchristian" as the extra word and am assuming the first 2 letters come from "macaque disembowelled" and the next 3 (and 3 after that but "upset" isn't plural so I doubt it) could come from "upset" but can't get the rest from "scientists"?
15 of 30  -   Report This Post

malone

10th January 2022, 08:40
The last two letters are the scientists, confirmed in Chambers. I'm not sure about the centre of the word.
16 of 30  -   Report This Post

malone

10th January 2022, 08:51
Sorry, Brendan, that last post was very rushed! I thought, think, I am missing something with the 'upset' part. I can see two times 'had' in the answer, but don't see how the clue gives that. It's just as well that I don't bother too much with parsing!
17 of 30  -   Report This Post

brendan

10th January 2022, 08:56
I see what you mean - "had" as in I had such and such for dinner". Chambers gives one meaning of "eat" as 'upset' and as it say "had upset" as in past tense I, incorrectly, thought it was "ate" (which appears twice).

Many thanks Malone:-)
18 of 30  -   Report This Post

quisling

10th January 2022, 09:15
I think you’ve both cracked it. Had gives the first “ate”, and upset gives the second “ate”. It’s certainly unusual to see a word appearing twice in the same answer clued differently both times, rather than “twice”
19 of 30  -   Report This Post

brendan

10th January 2022, 09:18
That's excellent, many thanks Quisling:-)

PS My pens are a bit low on ink so I've decided to replace them so I can really do this endgame justice 😀
20 of 30  -   Report This Post
Home » Forum » IQ 1733