CancelReport This Post

Please fill out the form below with your name, e-mail address and the reason(s) you wish to report this post.

Crossword Help Forum
Forum Rules

prospero

6th December 2021, 18:06
been out all day and only just got to this ... all done except I am stuck on 1a and1d and can't decide on first letter of 9. I have all but one of the connections but don't understand what "in the same way" means ...
1 of 30  -   Report This Post

loge

6th December 2021, 18:20
1 across is an anagram of coach + U meaning a pill used to sweeten the breath

1down is an anagram of second word minus its outer letters around S(econd)

First letter of 9 is O

I think "in the same way" just means the nature of the connections is the same in each case?
2 of 30  -   Report This Post

buzzybee

6th December 2021, 18:22
Got in there just before I did Loge 😄
3 of 30  -   Report This Post

prospero

6th December 2021, 18:32
thank you loge - I had got to 1d and was just working on 1a. I was sure I had 9 right but still can't parse it - I will get there though.
4 of 30  -   Report This Post

buzzybee

6th December 2021, 18:46
Anagram of "regular" letters of "about" and "red"
5 of 30  -   Report This Post

pendragon

6th December 2021, 21:31
Finished now. But is the definition of 24A really the superfluous word in 2D? And isn't the final word in 26D unnecessary? Still my answers must be O.K. I hope ...
6 of 30  -   Report This Post

prospero

6th December 2021, 21:40
yes, I was doubtful too about 24 and 2 but Chambers has it word for word. I imagine the last word of 26 is there for the surface reading, as well as being an over-explicit description of the body part.
7 of 30  -   Report This Post

buzzybee

6th December 2021, 21:47
Pendragon. 24a/2d Chambers gives exactly this word as its 3rd defintion. And while the last word may be strictly unnecessary, it is (1) to distinguish from the back of the lower member and (2) to mislead somewhat in 26d - there is a part of the face that has the same checked letters.
8 of 30  -   Report This Post

gweilo

6th December 2021, 21:50
@buzzybee - it certainly misled me! I bunged the wrong solution in unparsed, and picked the wrong word as the extra one in the clue. When I came back and tried to parse it I saw the error of my ways
9 of 30  -   Report This Post

pendragon

6th December 2021, 21:59
You're all right about the definition in Chamber's. I only looked at it in the online version, and it's not there. I had to drag out my printed book caveman-style, which is, however, more helpful .... Thanks.
10 of 30  -   Report This Post