CancelReport This Post

Please fill out the form below with your name, e-mail address and the reason(s) you wish to report this post.

Crossword Help Forum
Forum Rules

paradigmshifter

7th November 2021, 21:17
I consider myself virtually spanked for bumping a thread with the same title as this to page 1 :)

According to the annotated solutions FRISBEE is Fri's (Friday is) Bee (busy)! I thought FR as an abbrev of Friday was a bit lame.

They also confirmed TWIRLY as expected, they didn't say whether SWIRLY would also be acceptable, so the green tick mystery is unsolved.

And they say PUPPET is a software tool? I've not heard of that and I am a programmer ;) Maybe some of the animators use one of those, but I would call it a marionette instead?

Typical Graun though, they got the number of the puzzle wrong in the page title https://www.theguardian.com/crosswords/2021/nov/07/annotated-solutions-for-prize-28584
11 of 19  -   Report This Post

paradigmshifter

7th November 2021, 21:21
Also a marionette is definitely not software, they are made of wood, so I don't understand that at all in the annotated solution.

Ok, so you learn something new every day

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Puppet_(software)

I think the glove version fits the clue better to be honest. I've never used that software tool and I've been a programmer for nearly 30 years.
12 of 19  -   Report This Post

timbergski

8th November 2021, 10:32
As someone who works in the cloud from time to time, I had heard of Puppet as a software tool but I wouldn't expect the vast majority of solvers to know that. I made the generic equivalence between puppet and tool as metaphors, as in "He's just a puppet of the government" = "they use him as a tool to further their own ends".
13 of 19  -   Report This Post

timbergski

8th November 2021, 10:42
I've looked at the annotated solutions. Could someone please explain why:

"swim on vacation" is "sw" (21a), i.e. why "on vacation" means dropping "im". I get the rest of it.

Why the "ch" of each is dropped in "Pain hard in each competition" (4d). Again, I get the rest of it.

Thanks.
14 of 19  -   Report This Post

rossim

8th November 2021, 11:12
21 On vacation the WI (ie the centre is dropped) leaving SM after a synonym for agent.
Fit is the definition.
15 of 19  -   Report This Post

timbergski

8th November 2021, 11:16
Thanks but my question is why "on vacation" means "drop the centre of the word". I just don't get it. As mentioned, I get everything else about the clue.
16 of 19  -   Report This Post

paradigmshifter

8th November 2021, 13:14
Vacation as in emptying, so on vacation = after emptying
17 of 19  -   Report This Post

rossim

8th November 2021, 15:07
4d ea is an accepted abbreviation for each.
18 of 19  -   Report This Post

timbergski

8th November 2021, 15:21
Thanks @rossim and @paradigmshifter. It's all so obvious once you know .
19 of 19  -   Report This Post