CancelReport This Post

Please fill out the form below with your name, e-mail address and the reason(s) you wish to report this post.

Crossword Help Forum
Forum Rules

bobbycollins

20th September 2021, 18:52
I think that I have finished this correctly, but am bothered about some of the parsings in the NW corner.

"Given caution, unless given makeshift bomb" (8) N*T*F*E* I have NOTIFIED, but not happy with the definition and don't see the parsing.

"Left work with man about town" (3,3) G*T*F* I have GOT OFF but not keen on TOFF for man about town.

1 of 10  -   Report This Post

jazzgirl

20th September 2021, 19:17
Given caution - notified
unless - not if
IED - improvised explosive device

2 of 10  -   Report This Post

bobbycollins

20th September 2021, 19:22
Thanks. I looked for IED on my CD-ROM of the BRB and it isn't there so discarded it! Still not happy with the definition.
3 of 10  -   Report This Post

jazzgirl

20th September 2021, 19:51
IED is in my 12th edition of Chambers
4 of 10  -   Report This Post

mathprofrockstar

20th September 2021, 20:01
Bobbycollins, I wasn't happy with 4d either. Originally I thought it might be GET OUT, but the last letter didn't work with the crosser. On the other hand, IED has entered the vocabulary, so I think that one is fine.
5 of 10  -   Report This Post

paulhabershon

20th September 2021, 20:01
bobbycollins

Left work with man about town (3, 3)

GOT OFF

I didn't like toff (=man about town) either. In fact for some time I thought there was an error in the first word of the clue.

If T is an acceptable abbreviation for town (perhaps in football league tables, e.g Huddersfield T), then GEOFF (=man) parses correctly for GET OFF, so 'left' in the clue should be 'leave'. But I admit that 'get off' is not a good definition for 'leave work'.

6 of 10  -   Report This Post

bobbycollins

20th September 2021, 20:03
Yep - I have the same hard copy!!
7 of 10  -   Report This Post

bobbycollins

20th September 2021, 20:05
Thanks all😊
8 of 10  -   Report This Post

mathprofrockstar

20th September 2021, 20:05
Sorry, I meant 3d. I think the definition is ok though. "Get off work" is fairly common, at least in the US.
9 of 10  -   Report This Post

paul

21st September 2021, 03:04
If it’s any consolation this took me way longer than usual and lots of parsings remain only partial satisfied!
10 of 10  -   Report This Post