CancelReport This Post

Please fill out the form below with your name, e-mail address and the reason(s) you wish to report this post.

Crossword Help Forum
Forum Rules

brendan

22nd August 2021, 00:55
This week's Everyman reminds me of one we had a few weeks ago, in so far as some of the clues were write-ins while others took lots of working out and deconstructing.

FOI was 1a followed by 2d.

If you do get stuck there is a long anagram in the acrosses and a hidden in the downs.

6d - I wasn't familiar with this definition and Chambers doesn't give it but it does seem like it's right so no problems.

I've still to haven't fully parsed 8d and 16d but I'm sure of my answers so will hope for a PDM or 'epiphany' 😉😉

COD - Like with yesterday's Prize, I have quite a list, but unlike yesterday I can't separate them so it's a dead heat between 5d, 24a, 14a and 23a - all of which are just outstanding.

Thanks to Everyman for a thoroughly enjoyable crossword.

Let us know how you got on and, if you get stuck, don't hesitate to ask for a hint - there are always people on here willing to help.

Stay safe:-)
1 of 82  -   Report This Post

brendan

22nd August 2021, 00:58
PS Apologies to Geeker for the blatant plagiarism 😉
2 of 82  -   Report This Post

geeker

22nd August 2021, 01:11
Hi Brendan,
Started off by writing in the NW quadrant (FOI 1a), and thought the puzzle would be easy. But the rest had some really challenging parts, so overall above the difficulty norm. Thanks to Everyman.
LOI 5a; possible mental block because one of the (double) definitions is a subject I don't love.
COD 14 by a wide margin. Wrote in the answer with little thought, only parsed it while going over the filled grid. Big smile when the penny dropped! Also liked 16, 20, 23 and 10.
Found 5, the long down clue, challenging. 19 is an uncommon word but parses clearly. 24 relies on a bit of unknown (to me) GK, but also parsable [if that's a word :-) ].
3 of 82  -   Report This Post

geeker

22nd August 2021, 01:17
8 is exceptionally tricky to parse, breaks down as 4, 1, 5. The 1 is an unexpected and disguised abbrev.
4 of 82  -   Report This Post

geeker

22nd August 2021, 01:18
Sorry, 8 more accurately parses as (1,3), 1, 5!
5 of 82  -   Report This Post

brendan

22nd August 2021, 01:26
8d - Oh wow! That is convoluted - kudos on seeing that, Geeker.

Any thought on 16d? I can see the first 5 letter are "a weaselly type" inverted or 'written up' but not where the last 3 letters come from - unless it's an acronym?
6 of 82  -   Report This Post

geeker

22nd August 2021, 01:32
In 16 the last 5 letters are the weaselly type written up.
The first 3 letters are "silver-tongued" (4) with a clearly indicated letter removed.
7 of 82  -   Report This Post

brendan

22nd August 2021, 01:33
16d - Cancel that! My suspected parsing was utterly and totally wrong!

Thankfully I see it now:-)
8 of 82  -   Report This Post

brendan

22nd August 2021, 01:35
Thanks Geeker, I get it now.

I was completely thrown by the coincidence of the first 5 letters being a reversal of a "weaselly type" minus the G(ood).
9 of 82  -   Report This Post

brendan

22nd August 2021, 01:42
5d - Fans of Pink Floyd should have no trouble with 5d:-)
10 of 82  -   Report This Post