CancelReport This Post

Please fill out the form below with your name, e-mail address and the reason(s) you wish to report this post.

Crossword Help Forum
Forum Rules

aristophanes

4th August 2021, 17:28
tyke: Thanks for thawing my brain freeze. I was looking for a partial homophone.
21 of 35  -   Report This Post

chrise

4th August 2021, 17:35
[Hi aristo
Yesterday and this morning have been busy - we had three ferners coming for lunch yesterday, and to look at the fern expert's collection, so were very busy, then golf this morning. so I haven't got round to entering - sorry!
I hadn't heard of the target, though, and Google was confusing - depending on which I followed, it was either a place (in Baltimore?), a construction like a fish ladder, or an event of fish migration. Which were you thinking of?]
22 of 35  -   Report This Post

mathprofrockstar

4th August 2021, 17:50
I am certain that it is the mass migration that aristo had in mind. It just so happens that there is a park in Baltimore with that name.
23 of 35  -   Report This Post

aristophanes

4th August 2021, 18:32
Yes, the mass migration. We have quite a few runs in Massachusetts, and in Maine (where I am now).
24 of 35  -   Report This Post

buddy

4th August 2021, 18:48
Stripping, Sheri brings Bruno a bunch of horny fish (7,3)

But who are we to judge
25 of 35  -   Report This Post

bigbadmarty2

4th August 2021, 19:47
Unfortunately Fuhrer ring can't ignore fact about mass migration (7,3)
26 of 35  -   Report This Post

aristophanes

4th August 2021, 21:13
I’d like to comment on a lot of these but am using my little phone. Several nice touches: paul’s Herr Grun, mathprof’s hurry after a promise, Jimmy’s fish course, the nifty subtractives from fiery and bigbad, the nut buddy’s striptease… I’ve settled on mattrom’s entry with its nice use of “stop”:

Wandering queen stops barbarian’s mass migration (7,3)

The herring run is truly an amazing event. My grandmother went to one (well inland) every year and came home with a keg of fish for pickling (another vanishing cyclic custom). I don’t know how it was determined that every herring returns to the place of its birth. I assume it’s true and am filled with wonder. The prize is just a clip about one of these runs south of here in Maine.

https://www.nfwf.org/media-center/videos/rise-river-herring

Thanks to all of you for participating. It’s always a pleasure to read your clever clues.
27 of 35  -   Report This Post

tyke51

4th August 2021, 21:49
Well done Mattrom and thanks for curating the lists! Cheers Aristo - PR 500 coming up ...
28 of 35  -   Report This Post

jono

4th August 2021, 22:20
Congrats Mattrom, many thanks for the challenge Aristo, enjoyed the clip
29 of 35  -   Report This Post

mattrom

4th August 2021, 22:50
Thank you Aristo, for a challenging challenge and your choice. Those plucky little herrings! Good to see some steps taken to "turn back the tide" for wildlife ... and there is an economic advantage as well.
Hope to see y'all next week.
30 of 35  -   Report This Post