CancelReport This Post

Please fill out the form below with your name, e-mail address and the reason(s) you wish to report this post.

Crossword Help Forum
Forum Rules

son1ofrover1

14th June 2021, 17:43
Thanks to Wickball for an excellent debut.
1 of 10  -   Report This Post

alwayspuzzled

14th June 2021, 19:03
I am still struggling big time with this. I have all the answers apart from 13 across (I imagine a pie's OK, upsetting the rule - 6) but the only word I can think of with the pattern I have would make a nonsense of what I have for 7, 8 and 14 down and I am sure I have the right words there. After that there is the not inconsiderable problem of working out how to represent the two discoveries and finding the two letters which need changing, My initial thought was that one is the first letter of 35 across which would give a surname but if that is the case I can't see the forename. Any pointers in the right direction would be really appreciated. Back now to reading about the person generated by the extra letters and what I think he was referring to.
2 of 10  -   Report This Post

buddy

14th June 2021, 19:15
13a is an anagram of the crossing entries (3 of which are too long and therefore have symbols entered into the grid). 35 does contain the surname (with a change of letter); the forename requires 2 letters to be entered into one cell.
3 of 10  -   Report This Post

son1ofrover1

14th June 2021, 19:28
There was more than one 35a alwayspuzzled
4 of 10  -   Report This Post

alwayspuzzled

14th June 2021, 19:32
Thanks for that Buddy. Fool that I am it did not occur to me to put two letters in the same cell. I now have a row with three blank cells and one with four yet the preamble talks about seven characters/symbols in each. It is back to the drawing board but I will now leave it until tomorrow when I will have more chance to read about the person in question.
5 of 10  -   Report This Post

alwayspuzzled

14th June 2021, 19:49
Thanks once again Buddy. I have managed to crack it by Googling the person's name plus discoveries. Something new to add to the memory banks.
6 of 10  -   Report This Post

alwayspuzzled

14th June 2021, 19:58
Apologies Son1ofrover1 I missed your post. Thank you for your help.
7 of 10  -   Report This Post

connie

15th June 2021, 13:31
I found 2 places for the surname. One required 2 letters in place of one and the other,a little further away required only one??
Am also struggling to confidently extract a minus from my 5 letter as answer to 37 down.
Help appreciated!
8 of 10  -   Report This Post

buddy

15th June 2021, 13:37
The equation in the bottom left is not entered in the form you'd find in most articles about the "pioneer". There are no minus signs in the form the puzzle uses, (move variables to the appropriate side of the = sign so that everything is positive).
9 of 10  -   Report This Post

connie

15th June 2021, 17:04
Thanks Buddy! Have also read the intro properly and sorted the other query. Only problem I have now is whether to watch Royal Add it or football!!
10 of 10  -   Report This Post
Home » Forum » EV 1491