CancelReport This Post

Please fill out the form below with your name, e-mail address and the reason(s) you wish to report this post.

Crossword Help Forum
Forum Rules

jono

15th January 2021, 19:50
All votes are in and a good many clues made it into the voting this week.

With one vote each:
Dorrien@54, Mattrom@55, Rossim@13, Paul@10 and Spike@29/MPRS@22 as a split vote.

With two votes:
Buddy@3, Tyke@28 and Tyke@50 - doubly impressive from Tyke.

But tied in the lead with three votes each: PaulH@53 and Aristo@9

PaulH Caught a friend concealing appeal for money (7)

Aristo Top hat at a rakish angle? (7)

While I do like a good cricket based clue, today the prize goes to Aristo. Sorry Paul. I really like the imagery of a top hat worn at a rakish angle, very ‘Geeves and Wooster’!

Here’s the prize, probably more than you ever wanted to know about capital cities...
https://youtu.be/nbb0GmommvM
I also found this interesting, if alarming 😬
https://youtu.be/_7jCioztj_c
81 of 97  -   Report This Post

spike2

15th January 2021, 20:09
Congratulations, Aristo! Commiserations, PaulH. Thanks for hosting, Jono.

My thanks to Jimmyg for the vote, much appreciated. Also, to Fieryjack and Mattrom for the mentions, just as appreciated.
82 of 97  -   Report This Post

dorrien

15th January 2021, 20:22
Congrats Aristo - glad to have given you my vote as you gave one to me!
I thought PaulH had a very good clue too

Thanks Jono for doing the duties.
83 of 97  -   Report This Post

peterm

15th January 2021, 20:24
Well done, aristo, and thanks Jono. Thanks also to Spike for the like.
84 of 97  -   Report This Post

tyke51

15th January 2021, 20:42
Well done Aristo - bad luck Paulh - another enjoyable competition Jono, liked the clip about City population growth!
I thought it would be close this week with several possible winners - thanks to Mattrom (liked your `rakish type`) MPRS, Chrise & Paulh for votes and Fj & Spike2 for mentions - all very much appreciated.

Mprs ... I`m stuck with 51 as it was the year I arrived on the Planet - just in time for lunch according to Mum! I`m aware of `Area 51` but sometimes confuse it with Roswell!
85 of 97  -   Report This Post

paulhabershon

15th January 2021, 21:04
Well done, aristo, and thanks for the hosting, Jono. Malone of this parish would certainly approve of your tie-break decision - he(she?) heartily dislikes those much used synonyms: appeal, SA and it.

Thanks for the likes from Chrise, tyke51, buddy, dorrien and mattrom, and for my three votes from kt17, fieryjack and Paul.
86 of 97  -   Report This Post

buddy

15th January 2021, 21:25
Congrats aristo & thanks to faiton and rossim for the votes, as well as to the likers for the various likes. Thanks for the turn in the big chair, jono.

87 of 97  -   Report This Post

aristophanes

15th January 2021, 21:58
Thanks so much for the votes, buddy, dorrien, bigbad, and jono, and for the mentions, tyke, spike, and mattrom. I had narrowed my vote down to paulh @53 and dorrien @54 and ended up giving the edge to the latter for its nifty "lead character." Neat clips, jono. I was surprised by how long it took for Mexico City to appear, and by the disappearance of NY, LA, and Chicago toward the end.

See you all next week!
88 of 97  -   Report This Post

mattrom

15th January 2021, 22:03
Well done, aristo! Thanks to tyke for the vote (and mention), and multiple thanks to buddy, FJ, paulh, paul and BBM2 for the likes/silvers.
A fruitful word indeed, jono! Thanks for the challenge and the clips. It looked like London was going to be on top for a while, then it disappeared off the graph.
89 of 97  -   Report This Post

dorrien

15th January 2021, 22:43
Wow. Jono.
Just finished the second clip. Unbelievable!
90 of 97  -   Report This Post