CancelReport This Post

Please fill out the form below with your name, e-mail address and the reason(s) you wish to report this post.

Crossword Help Forum
Forum Rules

Home » Forum » RT36

mondrian

2nd September 2010, 17:26
Karen, thank you so much for replying quickly. It is nice to be on line at the same time. I think some of my answers are wrong. Will have to check when I go home.

Are you making good use of your new dvd player?
21 of 37  -   Report This Post

karen

2nd September 2010, 17:31
Hi Mondrian,hope I hav'nt confused you further!
Yes I am enjoying the dvd player,its portable and although its screen is small it has a very good picture quality!
22 of 37  -   Report This Post

nimrod

2nd September 2010, 20:10
Did receive the RT today, so the postman is safe!!
Crossword completed but I did find myself "knowing" the answers and then having to find the reason why - if that makes sense! It took some time to sort out 15a & 16a. Different use of language e.g one out, to create final answer.
With 18a, the use of the word "unexpected" was, I thought, misleading and led to a very wordy clue.
For 24a think 2 words; one for a "criminal" fiddle linked with a technical term used in physics to describe the state of solid items.
23 of 37  -   Report This Post

crypto

2nd September 2010, 21:50
Having read Nimrod's posting it looks like I'm in a minority re views on tenuous clues.
Re 15a & use of language I thought that 'one' out of honey leaving hy is ok.
Re 16a I'm not sure of the problem but having 'very' for extremely is fine by me.
Re 18a, the use of the word "unexpected" as an anagram indicator is again ok on the basis that if I pulled up a compiler every time I thought that was tenuous I would have a long list.

Anyway those are my thoughts for now.
24 of 37  -   Report This Post

old gal

2nd September 2010, 22:28
Thanks for all your good wishes and to reply to Chris, I am now sixty-several!
Mondrian, if you knew any quilters you would know we have very long project lists and ufo's!!!
Am getting very annoyed with myself for not getting the RT - your comments are tantalising me..
Will try anything that is black and Irish!
See ya soon
25 of 37  -   Report This Post

mondrian

3rd September 2010, 12:24
Hello old gal. Thanks for the reply. By the way despite my name I am really a bit of an old gal myself. Should perhaps have called myself Mondriana but didn`t think of it at the time. And no I do not know any quilters but can well imagine it is a long and painstaking task. I am more into oil painting!!

Thanks to Karen and others have now finished. Like Philip and Nimrod I sometimes get the answer and then have to work out why the clue fits - the one involving `honey` was just one such.

Looks like we are all to have a sunny weekend. Hope so.
26 of 37  -   Report This Post

karen

3rd September 2010, 12:43
Hi Mondrian, glad to hear your finished,I was worried that I may have wrong clued you!
27 of 37  -   Report This Post

bees

3rd September 2010, 15:57
I'm glad so many people agreed with me about guseeing the answers and justifying them later. I thought it was just me.

Does black and Irish include the U.S. President?
28 of 37  -   Report This Post

mich

3rd September 2010, 19:11
Hello- i am always a watcher of this thread!
I am stuck on the last one- 8 ac
'wet snow left in river flowing back' [5]
-l-e-
Sleet? Fleet? If so, why please? Maybe I have something wrong elsewhere.
29 of 37  -   Report This Post

karen

3rd September 2010, 20:19
Hi Mich,6a the rives Tees flowing back with l (for left).
Nice that you have joined us.Welcomex
PS Hope that helps.
30 of 37  -   Report This Post
Home » Forum » RT36