CancelReport This Post

Please fill out the form below with your name, e-mail address and the reason(s) you wish to report this post.

Crossword Help Forum
Forum Rules

brendan

30th November 2020, 10:41
Snap! But I just couldn't make it work - I mean, usually when I get an idea in my head I can't seem to shift from it, but I managed to this time - maybe I'm turning a new leaf:-)
11 of 16  -   Report This Post

brendan

30th November 2020, 10:44
PS Also, and I know I've said this before, but I hate it when setters use names as part of the wordplay. Put virtually any combination of letters into Google and you'll find someone with that name - rant over 😡
12 of 16  -   Report This Post

tango

30th November 2020, 11:01
I don't think that is a rant.

It is absolutely fair criticism of a very poor clue that includes a definition where the entity as a province existed only very briefly, where there is a modern day area of the same name which is in western not central Europe, where a random name is most of the clue and the single other letter is the setter get out "note" which can be any of at least 8 letters.

If this setter tried that in one of our Peer Reviews or Clueless they would most likely get zero votes.
13 of 16  -   Report This Post

brendan

30th November 2020, 11:12
Thanks Tango, that's much appreciated. I really, really don't like criticising setters, and very, very rarely do, but I draw the line at names - I mean, what are you supposed to do, try every 6 letter girl's name to add to a note to see if it makes a province? A friend of mine married a girl called Fairy, Chris Martin of Coldplay has a daughter called Apple - are these going to be clued as "girl's name"? Probably not, but why is Alicia okay to clue but not Fairy or Apple - where is the line drawn? I just think it shows a lack of imagination by the setter.

Rant over, and I feel great :-(
14 of 16  -   Report This Post

magpie9

30th November 2020, 23:40
I think you are being unfair on the setter. There are clues where it is possible to work out the answer from the cryptics to give an obscure word. 2d is a good example of this. There are other clues where it is possible to biff the answer and it is more difficult to work out the cryptics and 45d is a good example of this.
I thought the crossword very fair although there are some weak clues, e.g. 21a.
15 of 16  -   Report This Post

tango

1st December 2020, 22:39
We all have different views. I thought this was a good crossword marred only by the couple of clues that have been mentioned. Not sure I understand the phrase 'biff a clue' but if it means guess randomly until you have something that fits the letters already in place then it would be a correct criticism of how that clue is best solved.
16 of 16  -   Report This Post