CancelReport This Post

Please fill out the form below with your name, e-mail address and the reason(s) you wish to report this post.

Crossword Help Forum
Forum Rules

loge

28th November 2020, 11:42
The extra word in 33d was the last I found too. It might be helpful to point out that the last word of the clue isn't a noun.
21 of 39  -   Report This Post

candledave

28th November 2020, 11:54
Thanks both.

I knew the answer and definition but it’s only just now that I realised that I wasn’t contemplating the right word to be removed. It’s funny how your mind can just put a block on things like that. As soon as I had realised that, I spotted the wordplay.

Matched up all the definitions now so can put it to bed.
22 of 39  -   Report This Post

blacksaint

28th November 2020, 12:50
Surely the preamble should say "touched letters", not "untouched..."?
23 of 39  -   Report This Post

loge

28th November 2020, 13:09
That's what I thought originally, but in the context of the theme the preamble is correct. Don't want to say more at this stage for fear of giving too much away.
24 of 39  -   Report This Post

drxx

28th November 2020, 13:19
I agree, loge - the influencer must be immune/'untouched'.
25 of 39  -   Report This Post

gitto

28th November 2020, 13:42
Agreed, if the relevant letters were touched the grid entry would be the answer to the clue - which it isn't.
26 of 39  -   Report This Post

blacksaint

28th November 2020, 14:24
Hmm, but surely that means that all the letters in the grid entry are untouched, doesn't it?
27 of 39  -   Report This Post

drxx

28th November 2020, 15:05
I imagined the influence passing through the answers, blacksaint - and where there is contact the influence is felt locally (in a sense, I think it's the opposite of how themed entries usually work - the thematic entries are clued, the real/original answers are final entries).
28 of 39  -   Report This Post

loge

28th November 2020, 15:05
Yes, but remember that the grid entry is pre-modification. Compare the thematic grid entries with the answers to the relevant clues (the modified versions of the grid entries) and you'll see that only some letters are different. "Before touching" could be an alternative to "untouched". I know I haven't explained this very well - it's hard to get one's head around the clue answers, not the entries, being the mutated versions. I don't think I've ever come across this before.
29 of 39  -   Report This Post

loge

28th November 2020, 15:07
...and Drxx's explanation is much clearer than mine!
30 of 39  -   Report This Post