CancelReport This Post

Please fill out the form below with your name, e-mail address and the reason(s) you wish to report this post.

Crossword Help Forum
Forum Rules

trebornotlaw

2nd October 2020, 14:45
12ac; A number eleven entering field of play, hungry-looking? (8)

The answer is a serious disorder from which many people die. Am I the only one to find it a bit off to describe it as "hungry-looking"?
1 of 11  -   Report This Post

malone

2nd October 2020, 14:58
Trebor... there was a tiny amount of discussion on this, when the clue first appeared. I've bumped up that thread if you want to have a look.
2 of 11  -   Report This Post

jono

2nd October 2020, 15:00
I agree, in fact I’m sure there’s an earlier thread from the time this was published discussing this.
3 of 11  -   Report This Post

jono

2nd October 2020, 15:01
I crossed with Malone...
4 of 11  -   Report This Post

trebornotlaw

2nd October 2020, 16:38
Sorry, I missed the previous disussion. Perhaps that's an example of adding to an existing thread not working.
Or just me not reading the forum properly.
5 of 11  -   Report This Post

malone

2nd October 2020, 16:50
TreborNotlaw, I think your query was fine! You missed the earlier mention of that clue, so posting your view seems quite valid. Sometimes posts, and even threads, can be overlooked.

I think the 'duplicate threads' is aimed more at the situation where eight or nine posters start a new one, wanting help with the Rainbow Quiz (for example). There can be an awful lot of repeated requests and solutions.
6 of 11  -   Report This Post

jigjag

2nd October 2020, 17:30
tre...

I agree with Malone. Your query was Ok.
7 of 11  -   Report This Post

norah (admin)

2nd October 2020, 20:05
Now and again these anomalies will occur and I won’t be deleting this thread as it deals with a genuine concern, it is not asking for help.

As Malone says, what we don’t want are countless threads asking for help on the same topic, the All Abroad quiz is a good example.

Everyone has been very good this week, keep it up, and thank you.
8 of 11  -   Report This Post

hotelwhiskey7

4th October 2020, 02:43
To be fair, the medical condition is anorexia nervosa.

Anorexia as a symptom is a more general lack of appetite (though this is arguably the exact opposite of hungry-looking).
9 of 11  -   Report This Post

trebornotlaw

20th October 2020, 02:22
I knew, and fell in love with, a girl who died from a condition brought on by anorexia nervosa. It would be fair to say that she was the love of my life.
Sorry if I come across as a bit of a "snowflake", but it seems really trite to see it used in a crossword and defined as "hungry-looking".
The crosswords in the Times do seem to be making me feel rather grumpy just lately. Maybe I need to take a break.
10 of 11  -   Report This Post