CancelReport This Post

Please fill out the form below with your name, e-mail address and the reason(s) you wish to report this post.

Crossword Help Forum
Forum Rules

brendan

18th September 2020, 01:40
Fans of Paul, and I know there are many, should enjoy his latest themed offering for the Guardian. Once finished, you might also enjoy reading up on the stories surrounding the various themed answers. 19,12a, in particular, is great fun and reminds me of the saying by Marshall McLuhan, "I wouldn't have seen it if I hadn't believed it":-)
1 of 3  -   Report This Post

jono

18th September 2020, 07:47
Hi Brendan, you’re right that Paul fans will enjoy that one. Others may raise an eyebrow or two, e.g. ‘washer’ and ‘trousers’. Actually I quite like ‘trousers’.
I had the slightest recollection of the 19,12a topic but just read the Wikipedia page and hadn’t appreciated the full story, quite fun.
Admit I had to dip into the 225 blog for a couple of parsings. 15a had me stumped.
2 of 3  -   Report This Post

brendan

18th September 2020, 11:14
Hi Jono,

I thought you might like it. I vaguely remember Alexei Sayle playing the guy selling the Hitler diaries but only know the Cottingley fairies one from the stories in the popular media and internet. It's amazing that someone as clever as Conan Doyle could be so comprehensively fooled.
3 of 3  -   Report This Post