CancelReport This Post

Please fill out the form below with your name, e-mail address and the reason(s) you wish to report this post.

Crossword Help Forum
Forum Rules

brendan

12th September 2020, 08:14
Hi Lumen,

7 letter word for "far" (as in 'distant') around an anagram of "fine + C"(hapter)
11 of 23  -   Report This Post

brendan

12th September 2020, 08:15
Ahh! sorry, I meant to put "as in 'remote'.
12 of 23  -   Report This Post

lumen

12th September 2020, 08:25
Cheers, I have the 12 letter word now. Just need to think what to do with it!
13 of 23  -   Report This Post

s_pugh

12th September 2020, 09:31
That made me chuckle Lumen - given the current circumstances I'd have thought there was never less doubt what to do with it! ;¬)

Excellent puzzle btw and not as fearsome as you might think albeit needing a bit of cold solving to get started.
14 of 23  -   Report This Post

gitto

12th September 2020, 09:43
s-pugh, I think "a bit of cold solving" is rather an understatement. I had to cold solve 30 clues before I could get started - and if the answers hadn't been in alphabetical order I might have thrown the towel in. I totally agree that this is an excellent puzzle that slowly reveals itself. The 5 thematic plus the unclued entries are very clever once the not-too-awkward PDM arrives. Good stuff.
15 of 23  -   Report This Post

murky

12th September 2020, 12:37
I thought this was the easiest set of clues I've ever seen from Kea. I solved all but a few tricky ones before starting on the grid, which worked on my first attempt, unusually for me.
16 of 23  -   Report This Post

foinaven

12th September 2020, 13:25
I also thought that the clues were fair but still quite challenging, and it obviously helped that they were in alphabetical order. The key moment for me was when I found the theme to be highlighted. All good, apart from the fact that I cannot see the wordplay for the penultimate clue, though I am sure of the answer.

Having posted this, it will probably leap out at me.
17 of 23  -   Report This Post

hotelwhiskey7

12th September 2020, 13:37
Hi F

See other thread for parsing.
18 of 23  -   Report This Post

jack aubrey

13th September 2020, 19:12
A very elegant piece of construction and a very pleasing PDM. If only the conduct of the current UK Government was even a wee bit closer to the outcome of the “Ordinary line” clue!
19 of 23  -   Report This Post

kitsune

15th September 2020, 07:35
I found this tough but somehow managed to keep making incremental progress. I needed to cold solve about two thirds to three quarters of the clues before starting the grid fill. The clues were fair but several answers very obscure (to me at least) so I had to lean quite heavily on chambers. Eventually it all came together, lovely PDM and a nice positive theme for these strange times. Thank you, Kea!
20 of 23  -   Report This Post