CancelReport This Post

Please fill out the form below with your name, e-mail address and the reason(s) you wish to report this post.

Crossword Help Forum
Forum Rules

anriard

21st August 2020, 17:35
As a decidedly average solver, I am finding the Times Cryptic puzzles very variable in difficulty. Today’s, for example, was impossible for me, while yesterday’s was quite doable.
Is this variation recognized by other solvers or is it just me making excuses!
1 of 7  -   Report This Post

chrise

21st August 2020, 17:37
Try doing the Guardian (available free online). The compilers are named, so, with experience, you know the level of difficulty and style to expect!
2 of 7  -   Report This Post

quisling

21st August 2020, 19:05
This is well recognised. Monday tends to be the easiest, and Friday the hardest. There is something called the SNITCH (Same-day Numeric Index of Times Crossword Hardness) which compares solving times for a set of reference solvers to give a quantitative value. You will see it varies from as low as 50 to over 150. Today is currently at 146, very tough, while Monday was 58, pretty straightforward. Full details here:

https://xwdsnitch.herokuapp.com/
3 of 7  -   Report This Post

anriard

22nd August 2020, 09:15
Most informative quisling - I had no idea such analysis existed. Now I won’t feel so bad on Fridays!
4 of 7  -   Report This Post

anriard

22nd August 2020, 09:16
I’ll give The Guardian a go and see how I get on. Thanks chrise
5 of 7  -   Report This Post

paulhabershon

22nd August 2020, 11:00
Thanks for the link to that amazing Times difficulty site, quisling.

I do The Times crossword only when I go to bed, so I felt some trepidation last night (Friday) having seen the 140 level of difficulty. I did eventually manage it. I thought of PARAPH overnight but had to check it on my phone - a new word for me. Pleased to have worked out PRONUNCIAMENTO without help, having been delayed by thinking 'soon' was going to be 'anon' rather than 'pronto'.

Another meaning I discovered in Thursday's was LIST meaning 'border' referring to the fence round a jousting arena. So that's what's meant by 'entering the lists' - never realised.
6 of 7  -   Report This Post

quisling

22nd August 2020, 11:26
I’m glad you found it useful, paulhabershon. Those two words were new to me too, but thankfully the wordplay was clear. I would also recommend the blog, for which there is a link on the site, particularly Verlaine’s on Fridays. It’s useful for anyone seeking clarification on parsings.
7 of 7  -   Report This Post