CancelReport This Post

Please fill out the form below with your name, e-mail address and the reason(s) you wish to report this post.

Crossword Help Forum
Forum Rules

brendan

18th July 2020, 01:20
I was going to put that there is a very definite theme to this week's puzzle by Puck but, looking over it again, there are only four or five clues associated with 1a. - which I think falls short of a theme.

It's a difficult crossword to gauge in terms of difficulty because one has access to Google, which I would really have struggled without, but there are a few long anagrams and partial anagrams that give a way in, so that helped a lot.

There are some truly excellent clues with the most deviously hidden definitions, 5d for example where, after staring at possible options for ten minutes, I became convinced my crossers were wrong, only to finally see the the definition!

COD I'm giving to split between 12a (another brilliantly hidden definition) and 28a for there dual use of the "red can".

An excellent puzzle, especially if you're a fan of 1a - and who isn't?

Thanks to Puck.

Stay safe:-)

1 of 49  -   Report This Post

geeker

18th July 2020, 01:35
Hi Brendan,

Hard to comment on difficulty. On my first glance at the puzzle, I immediately wrote in 1a, which provided a definite leg up. Had to think for a long time about 5 (LOI), 10 and 14, else it would have been a near-record solving time. Strong suit IMO was several complex multifaceted linked clues. Google did help with three, notably one geographic clue :) .
I'll call 5 COD, followed by 21 and 19 (which latter I enjoyed despite its relative easiness).
2 of 49  -   Report This Post

brendan

18th July 2020, 01:46
Hi Geeker,

I think I know the geographical clue you're referring to and I was definitely helped by being a frequent listener to the shipping forecast - I find it helps me sleep:-)

I don't think we'll be the only ones puzzling over 5d - though once the definition is seen the parsing is very straightforward.

I think the fact that many of the clues are linked and cross-reference each other should help with the solving.
3 of 49  -   Report This Post

brendan

18th July 2020, 02:17
Hi again Geeker,

I've just noticed a rather quirky pun at the end of your first sentence - was it intentional?
4 of 49  -   Report This Post

geeker

18th July 2020, 02:33
Brendan,
No pun intended, I've had a tough week and not sure I can even type a coherent sentence right now! The way my day's gone, the most likely way of drawing laughs would be a howling solecism. :)
5 of 49  -   Report This Post

brendan

18th July 2020, 02:40
I know the feeling :-)
6 of 49  -   Report This Post

brendan

18th July 2020, 02:44
I felt sure it must have been unintentional.
7 of 49  -   Report This Post

mathi

18th July 2020, 03:50
I found it difficult since I didn’t know much about 1a’s works. So I had to Google a lot about him. I could finally get the rock’s name in 10a from Google, only after getting 5d.
8 of 49  -   Report This Post

mathi

18th July 2020, 05:37
Clues 20a and 7d also involve some names connected to the theme in 1a, in a sense.
9 of 49  -   Report This Post

jono

18th July 2020, 07:29
Morning all,
That went fairly smoothly, though I agree a fair bit of googling involved. The rock went straight in for me, having sailed around it a few times in the race of the same name. I enjoyed the linked clues for once, which felt like they had to be done in a certain order. 14 is quite clever. Struggling to parse 21, but it’s time for breakfast!
10 of 49  -   Report This Post