CancelReport This Post

Please fill out the form below with your name, e-mail address and the reason(s) you wish to report this post.

Crossword Help Forum
Forum Rules

cockie

27th June 2020, 16:58
Straightforward grid fill - maybe that's why no-one else has posted anything - mustn't let anyone think we don't care, or IQ might get pulled!

Endgame leaving me baffled. The message is easy to discover but hard to interpret. The country is obvious, but nowhere to be seen. Are we expected to place the words Andy Lemon somewhere, erasing what's there already, and thus causing the two-word phrase to appear?
1 of 36  -   Report This Post

ozzy

27th June 2020, 17:07
You only need to insert the first name in a position where there are four letters "held" by letters synonymous with his description of those holding him.
2 of 36  -   Report This Post

nelson

27th June 2020, 17:08
Yes cockie.

Replace four consecutive letters in the grid with his first name. This then becomes part of the two word phrase. That's it. Nothing else to do.
3 of 36  -   Report This Post

cockie

27th June 2020, 19:58
Thanks. Found where to put him, but the 14 letters surrounding where he has to go don't seem to be saying anything. Still, highlighting done & puzzle put in the recycling. Onward to Azed and EV!
4 of 36  -   Report This Post

nelson

27th June 2020, 20:25
Cockie,

I have a two word phrase of nine letters starting at 39 - which decribes what the captors are expected to do next.
5 of 36  -   Report This Post

cockie

27th June 2020, 21:48
Yeah, got that all right - it's the stuff surrounding our friend that seemed to make no sense.
6 of 36  -   Report This Post

nelson

27th June 2020, 22:14
Yes, I know what you mean - but I cant see anything else to do.
(Although on past form, that probably means I've completely missed the obvious.)

For quite a while I was looking for the name hidden or 'held' inside another word that could be a: ' . . . description of those holding him.'

The word I had in mind was 6 letters long, beginning with Y and ending with A.
7 of 36  -   Report This Post

malone

27th June 2020, 22:18
Nelson, I may have picked you up wrong - but the name IS hidden amongst something else, a description of those holding him. The words are defined by the two-word phrase.
8 of 36  -   Report This Post

nelson

27th June 2020, 23:31
Hi malone,

Just had another quick look at this and not quite sure what you mean. Will have to give it the overnight treatment - but you've intrigued me now.
9 of 36  -   Report This Post

drxx

27th June 2020, 23:46
The 4 words from across clues (the indexed letters) are represented on the outside of ANDY - one is an abbrev.
10 of 36  -   Report This Post
Home » Forum » IQ 1653