CancelReport This Post

Please fill out the form below with your name, e-mail address and the reason(s) you wish to report this post.

Crossword Help Forum
Forum Rules

paulhabershon

23rd June 2020, 05:53
5d Do not put up with it casually at first! (5).
T-N-C

TONIC seems more likely than TUNIC but I can't see why. Gin and tonic, gin and it? I get the C from 'casually at first' but what else?
1 of 7  -   Report This Post

brendan

23rd June 2020, 06:20
Hi Paul,

I think it's TONIC

"not" put up/reversed + I(t) C(asually)

"Do" could be the definition, as in a musical note/tonic Do Ra Me....etc.

I could well be wrong, though!
2 of 7  -   Report This Post

brendan

23rd June 2020, 06:21
I've just checked and "Do" is the first note of the diatonic scale.
3 of 7  -   Report This Post

paulhabershon

23rd June 2020, 08:15
Thanks, Brendan. I usually imagine DOH as the note, forgetting DO as an alternative. 'Doh!' as they say!

'The Times' is using this 'first letter' convention rather a lot currently under various guises. You have to be aware it can apply to consecutive words too, as here.
4 of 7  -   Report This Post

malone

23rd June 2020, 09:04
Paul... I've recently encountered a variation of Doh, do - Ut - in several crosswords. It's 'a syllable representing the first note of the scale, generally superseded by doh.' I like it, it's such an odd-looking word!
5 of 7  -   Report This Post

brendan

23rd June 2020, 09:26
You're right, Malone - I've seen "Ut" used more and more lately, it seems certain words come in and out of fashion with setters. I remember not long ago when either "No" or "Noh" for (Japanese) 'drama' seemed to appear in every other crossword - not so much now, though.
6 of 7  -   Report This Post

malone

23rd June 2020, 09:43
Brendan, thanks. Yes, there are definitely spells where certain words are used … and then there's a danger they can be over-used! They can go into hiding for a while, then reappear.
7 of 7  -   Report This Post