CancelReport This Post

Please fill out the form below with your name, e-mail address and the reason(s) you wish to report this post.

Crossword Help Forum
Forum Rules

brendan

20th June 2020, 00:58
This weeks crossword is by Picaroon and is a complete contrast to last week's - absolutely night and day.

This was both witty and clever and, if I've parsed 21a correctly, a tad risque too! In fact, judging by some of the clues, I do wonder if Picaroon was perhaps enjoying a glass or two of French wine while compiling it - there's more than a couple of references to wine and France:-)

In terms of difficulty, I'd say it's at the easier end of the scale, especially as one of the long answers is a very gettable anagram.

There are a couple of clues I haven't fully parsed yet - 9a and 19,18a, but the answers are clear and hopefully the penny will drop soon.

There were several contenders for my COD but I've opted for the aforementioned 21a.

Thanks to Picaroon for an excellent crossword.

Stay safe:-)
1 of 45  -   Report This Post

brendan

20th June 2020, 02:28
Just figured out 9a - very clever and, had I parsed it earlier, a definite contender for COD.
2 of 45  -   Report This Post

brendan

20th June 2020, 02:31
...and now have 19,18a too - I was over complicating it.
3 of 45  -   Report This Post

tonykcb

20th June 2020, 04:18
Definitely on the easier end of the scale, but fun to start the day. Smiled at the human race and that could be a plus. Thanks, Picaroon.
4 of 45  -   Report This Post

brendan

20th June 2020, 04:23
Hi Tony,

A plus indeed! I had to check Chambers to make sure that that's a definition for 9a:-)
5 of 45  -   Report This Post

brendan

20th June 2020, 05:22
Just realised I haven't fully parsed 13a.
6 of 45  -   Report This Post

brendan

20th June 2020, 05:29
Got it, ten seconds after posting, as usual!
7 of 45  -   Report This Post

jono

20th June 2020, 07:38
Hi Brendan
Don’t think I was quite in tune with the setter this morning. After the two 15’ers went straight in I got bogged down in a couple of places but got there in the end. My general knoweledge let me down when it came to each of the religious references.
Not sure what “not for everyone” adds to 9a unless I’m missing something. Haven’t quite parsed 7d or 12a... I’ll take a break and have some breakfast!
8 of 45  -   Report This Post

brendan

20th June 2020, 07:43
Good morning Jono,

"For everyone" is represented by a single letter and crops up frequently in crosswords - in this instance it obviously means to remove that letter (not for everyone).

I'm sure you'll figure out the others once you've enjoyed a heart breakfast:-)
9 of 45  -   Report This Post

jono

20th June 2020, 08:09
Thanks, I get it. I was reading “say” as indicating a homophone for the last part of the word if you see what I mean.
10 of 45  -   Report This Post