CancelReport This Post

Please fill out the form below with your name, e-mail address and the reason(s) you wish to report this post.

Crossword Help Forum
Forum Rules

brendan

30th May 2020, 01:05
This is a very entertaining puzzle by my much more illustrious namesake.

It did take me a while to get going, which is often the way, but once I did, most of the answers fell into place.... most, that is! There are a few foreign words, names or expressions and, even though the wordplay is fair, I do foresee some furrowed brows!

I still haven't fully parsed 9a, and in 8d, even though the answer is clear, I'm, as yet, still unsure of what "discernible in this puzzle (with a single exception)" refers to. I'll keep at and hope for a PDM.

There was quite a lot of competition for my COD, 21 and 24a are both excellent, but it must go to 7d for a great clue with a lovely surface reading.

Thanks to Brendan for a most enjoyable crossword:-)
1 of 73  -   Report This Post

brendan

30th May 2020, 01:17
I see 9a, that just leaves the parsing for 8d.

Also, does anyone pronounces/in audition the 2nd word in 16d like the instrument?
2 of 73  -   Report This Post

geeker

30th May 2020, 03:08
Hi Brendan,
I thought the puzzle was fun, but it was a surprisingly quick solve (unlike last week's debacle :) ). I have a strong idea about the parsing of 9d, but am not yet certain; also too afraid of spoilers to give any hints. Agree on pronunciation issue with 16d. Most of the wordplay seems relatively straightforward. My COD is 11, LOI surprisingly 23.
3 of 73  -   Report This Post

brendan

30th May 2020, 03:17
Hi Geeker,

11 a is a very good clue, another one with a smooth surface.

23d was also my LOI also - it is a tricky clue and I won't be surprised if it causes quite a bit of head scratching:-)
4 of 73  -   Report This Post

mathi

30th May 2020, 03:34
Remember 9a went to retrieve the golden ‘bark’ or skin.
5 of 73  -   Report This Post

geeker

30th May 2020, 03:48
Sorry, typo - I'm 90% certain I have the long down clue 8d (not 9d as above) parsed.
6 of 73  -   Report This Post

brendan

30th May 2020, 03:56
Looking over the crossword again, I haven't fully parsed 3d - I can see the "attempt" but can't really get the rest to mean "routines".
7 of 73  -   Report This Post

mathi

30th May 2020, 04:07
3d: letters 3 to 6 means routines when looked up.
8 of 73  -   Report This Post

brendan

30th May 2020, 04:16
Hi Mathi,

I had assumed those 4 letters were an abbreviation and, because I couldn't find it anywhere, was going round in circles. Never occurred to me that the word itself could mean "routines" - rookie error🥵 :-(
9 of 73  -   Report This Post

brendan

30th May 2020, 04:18
.....that said, I've just checked again and the Free Online Dictionary has it but Chambers doesn't!
10 of 73  -   Report This Post