CancelReport This Post

Please fill out the form below with your name, e-mail address and the reason(s) you wish to report this post.

Crossword Help Forum
Forum Rules

chrise

9th May 2020, 15:33
I must confess that I had to look up a few!
21 of 36  -   Report This Post

roof

9th May 2020, 19:25
Many thanks to the forum especially Polly1 at entry 9. I spent an hour puzzling over the numbers and almost gave up, but I checked the forum late this pm and found my way in. I've now finished and in the end I did enjoy it. I confess I looked up all the numbers in my useful book on the subject. It's a long time since my chemistry A level.
22 of 36  -   Report This Post

brendan

9th May 2020, 19:30
Hi Roof,

I've seen setters use the PT in relation to individual clues before, but this is the first time I've come across it in every clue. I think, like you, the general consensus is that everyone enjoyed this.
23 of 36  -   Report This Post

geeker

9th May 2020, 20:15
Brendan,
[Warning: spoiler alert]
I saw a PT-themed crossword in recent memory (past 6-8 months? not sure), iirc in a prize or holiday puzzle, can't recall the paper. Agreed this is the first time I've seen it in every clue.
Funny, the theme only registered for me when I realized that a key word (ELEMENT) had appeared as an answer in a Friday crossword (paper omitted) I solved.
24 of 36  -   Report This Post

rpchambe

10th May 2020, 08:33
I enjoyed this one but am still stuck with several at the top. The privileged noble; the four-letter word several of you had never heard before (even though I've got 3 of its letters, though not necessarily in the right order) 9 Across and 1 down. Any hints for any of those gratefully received. Then I can go for my walk.
25 of 36  -   Report This Post

chrise

10th May 2020, 08:42
The noble gives his name to some areas in Germany, and also to Lancashire!
9 the "art" is a verb
1 used to advertise Guiness, I think. Part anagram, then abbreviation for "about", then 7.
26 of 36  -   Report This Post

rpchambe

10th May 2020, 08:52
Thanks Chrise. OK on the West side now, still struggling with noble and the rare medical container.
27 of 36  -   Report This Post

chrise

10th May 2020, 08:56
Apparently the container is medical in Chambers, but I didn't find any reference to a medical use online. It's Japanese.
See if you can find what Lancashire, Cheshire and Durham have in common!
28 of 36  -   Report This Post

freddycat

10th May 2020, 12:41
Agreed Brendan, great fun once the theme became clear. I spent yesterday thinking this was way beyond me, then I worked out 10ac and it all clicked.
29 of 36  -   Report This Post

davidp

10th May 2020, 12:56
Just struggling with 1a. I have E-P-O-
EMPSON fits but why?
30 of 36  -   Report This Post