CancelReport This Post

Please fill out the form below with your name, e-mail address and the reason(s) you wish to report this post.

Crossword Help Forum
Forum Rules

despard

27th April 2020, 12:18
I have noted the previous long thread from anriard and have to agree this crossword is a stinker. I am too stubborn to give up and hope someone can give me a leg up with:
20a: Go on board immediately after this cautiously optimistic forecast? (7) M*Y****
4d: Forte! Is it that of a tattooist? (3-8) E**- *I****I**
I have found some of the answers I have are (to me) unparseable, but I now accept defeat at the hands of the setter.
1 of 10  -   Report This Post

malone

27th April 2020, 12:22
20 Mayfair, go on board - it's a place on a Monopoly board. May fair = cautiously optimistic forecast.
2 of 10  -   Report This Post

malone

27th April 2020, 12:23
4 Ear Piercing, very loud. Forte, musical term for 'loud' and ear piercings are often done by tattooists.
3 of 10  -   Report This Post

despard

27th April 2020, 13:02
Thanks malone. Knew I could rely on you!
4 of 10  -   Report This Post

malone

27th April 2020, 13:06
Despard, glad I could help - always easier when you've done the puzzle already! I don't mind a few weird, tricky, obscure... parsings -we need to be kept on our toes.
5 of 10  -   Report This Post

despard

29th April 2020, 16:20
Keeping on your toes is one thing, but tearing one's hair out is another! Now, with your help have got down to the last one.
51d: Pro beginning on amateur arenas (4) *O*A So many possibilities but can't tie any one down to clue.
6 of 10  -   Report This Post

malone

29th April 2020, 16:24
Fora, the plural of forum, arena. For = Pro and A, first letter, beginning on Amateur....
7 of 10  -   Report This Post

malone

29th April 2020, 16:50
Despard, I should have said that it's the 'posh' plural! I'm sure most of say 'forums'.
8 of 10  -   Report This Post

despard

29th April 2020, 20:28
Once more, thanks malone. Nothing surprises me now about this crossword. My second last answer was oralist, a word which may well appear in Chambers, but is very much a small type afterthought in the Shorter Oxford Dictionary which graces my shelves.
9 of 10  -   Report This Post

malone

29th April 2020, 21:26
Despard, just glad I could help. The pain and misery of some clues/answers must fade - I don't even remember 'oralist' from the previous puzzle!
10 of 10  -   Report This Post