CancelReport This Post

Please fill out the form below with your name, e-mail address and the reason(s) you wish to report this post.

Crossword Help Forum
Forum Rules

sam

22nd February 2020, 19:29
Puck gives a big hint with "crucial"
21 of 36  -   Report This Post

brendan

22nd February 2020, 19:33
Hi Sam, I didn't know that definition of "crucial" but I've just checked in Chambers and you're absolutely right.
22 of 36  -   Report This Post

roof

22nd February 2020, 20:59
Thanks brendan

I am struggling, though I think I have the theme now. Interestingly 9ac was my first one in and I wondered why the clue only covered the second word.

I've got a few more now but have a long way to go. Can anyone tell me what state arbitrators are in 2d? I think this is a themed answer but I'm puzzled. Is 19d a themed answer? And I can't parse 20 down apart from the first three or four letters.

Any hints helpful please
23 of 36  -   Report This Post

brendan

22nd February 2020, 21:07
Hi Roof, I think a few people had 9a as their FOI.

2d Yes, it is a themed clue and the second word is "arbitrators" (think sports games) around a 2 letter abbr. of a US state.

19d is not a themed clue. The definition is "See" and is a word for "spinner" reversed/over.

20d is a themed clue and is the odd letters of "heaven" around a common 3 letter word used when "joining" two words together + the single letter iteration of the theme.
24 of 36  -   Report This Post

brendan

22nd February 2020, 21:08
19d is a word for "spinner's" (not "spinner")
25 of 36  -   Report This Post

roof

22nd February 2020, 22:12
Thanks brendan

You've confirmed 2d and 20d for me. I had got them but couldn't parse them. Now I see them.

But I can think of a word for see, but can't make spinner's out of it reversed. I'll wait until I've got some crossers.

Does 4d really end in P? from my bird in 14ac?

No doubt I'll be back.
26 of 36  -   Report This Post

gooner

22nd February 2020, 22:32
Having trouble wit LOI 24a "Hobnob, perhaps, as writer that is keeping big man on board" (6)

I've got B?C?I?

Any help much appreciated
27 of 36  -   Report This Post

roof

22nd February 2020, 23:56
Sorry, I hadn't got this one either, but you've one more letter than me. Perhaps the definition is hobnob (a noun).

I've only a few left. Can I have some hints for 4d Musical's essential element (7) I have S?L?C?P The P looks unlikely and I can get an answer without it, but that throws 14ac which is a 21d.

But time for bed

28 of 36  -   Report This Post

brendan

23rd February 2020, 03:15
Hi Gooner and Roof,

24a you are looking for "Hobnob" as a noun (as you might see in a supermarket) - It's a 3 letter trade name of a well known pen/writer + the 1 letter notation for "the big man on board" (think a game) around the usual 2 letters for "that is".

4d Does not end in a P. The definition is "element" (think 'periodic table') - I think it's meant to be "the essential" letters in "musical" but, in order to get the symbol for the answer you have 2 letters before it and 3 after, which looks a bit odd.

14a is not a bird, Ruth. The definition is "warning light" and is a 2 letter abbr. of a 'flier' (think 'airline') around a 1 letter abbr. for "electronic" + a 3 letter word for "against".
29 of 36  -   Report This Post

roof

23rd February 2020, 10:47
Thanks Brendan

I managed to work these out, though couldn't parse 4d or 14ac. I've still got four to do including two thematic ones, but will be phoning my friend in Sheffield soon, who will no doubt tell me the answers. Thanks for your help. It was much appreciated.
30 of 36  -   Report This Post