CancelReport This Post

Please fill out the form below with your name, e-mail address and the reason(s) you wish to report this post.

Crossword Help Forum
Forum Rules

drxx

21st February 2020, 15:13
...and I'd be very surprised if Malone and itsme didn't do the same (unless my curiosity is untypical, of course).
11 of 21  -   Report This Post

vinsculler

21st February 2020, 17:02
Many thanks for your collective wisdom gentlemen - mind you without the Pearson nudge I think I'd still be adrift.

Vinsculler
12 of 21  -   Report This Post

kt17

21st February 2020, 18:56
Vinsculler, I agree, I had to chew my pencil for some time - it was quite a toughie. My penny dropped when I figured out the first word of 1A, then it all fell into place.

An interesting puzzle in retrospect, nice to get a challenge I thought.
13 of 21  -   Report This Post

drxx

21st February 2020, 19:24
I agree, kt17 - it's nice to get a puzzle that can be completed without having to look outside of the puzzle itself, but still leaves a bit of work at the very end. And if I'd had more faith in my first guess at the 'phenomenon', I could have avoided google altogether (because that word is in the ODQ index, and does link to the quote).

However, I'm still not convinced that the 4 examples we're given are what groups them together in ODQ - they're ones that never were, rather than erroneous ones (well, I think they are - but that's not meant to distract from a fine puzzle).
14 of 21  -   Report This Post

malone

21st February 2020, 19:37
Drxx, thanks for some interesting comments.

Until tonight, I didn't know the quotation itself. I think I ignored the 'phenomenon' stuff and simply concentrated on filling in the blanks! There was a lot of info given for the thematic entries (and there being only four meant that wasn't too tricky), so I worked those all out- and did the same for 41, 1 and 10.

I don't think I was not 'curious', I was just pleased to get this all finished in one go - and then went off to tackle another crossword!
15 of 21  -   Report This Post

drxx

21st February 2020, 19:57
I was guessing you'd have got around to it at some point, malone - I'm pretty sure we wouldn't be doing these things if we weren't driven by curiousity (possibly to a greater extent than is 'normal').
16 of 21  -   Report This Post

drxx

21st February 2020, 20:03
...curiosity, even.
17 of 21  -   Report This Post

specsaver

21st February 2020, 22:57
Can somebody explain the thinking behind 16ac? I have the answer, guess mob=criminals but cannot see the rest. Thanks!
18 of 21  -   Report This Post

drxx

21st February 2020, 23:15
UTU is Maori 'vengence'.
19 of 21  -   Report This Post

drxx

21st February 2020, 23:16
sorry (again) 'vengeance' - it's not my day!
20 of 21  -   Report This Post