CancelReport This Post

Please fill out the form below with your name, e-mail address and the reason(s) you wish to report this post.

Crossword Help Forum
Forum Rules

malone

19th February 2020, 16:31
Thanks, Cerasus. I don't do the RT crossword, but found the little story interesting!

That clue doesn't actually lead anywhere, does it? Well, it gives a word - quite easily gettable - but there's no definition (I think).
11 of 18  -   Report This Post

cerasus

19th February 2020, 17:04
@ Malone
This may explain the Roman Road connection

https://www.trimontium.co.uk/portfolio-items/roman-road-network/
12 of 18  -   Report This Post

malone

19th February 2020, 17:14
Thanks for that, Cerasus - quite interesting. I still don't really like the clue as the RR bit doesn't come up in the definition (of the answer) in any of my three big dictionaries.
13 of 18  -   Report This Post

cerasus

19th February 2020, 17:25
All I knew was that Caledonia was the Roman name for Scotland
14 of 18  -   Report This Post

mop

19th February 2020, 17:57
I have seen the clue now and how an answer is reached makes sense but does not add up to the answer. None of the names of any Roman roads I know of correspond to the answer

What might have made sense are the words Roman country to indicate that the answer is the Latin name of the country. As the editor of the RT has allegedly given the clue which presumably is exactly as supplied by the compiler then there are two possibilities. The compiler sent in a clue with a serious typo( repeating the word "road" twice or the compiler thought he/she made up the correct clues to reach the answer. If the latter then it reflects badly on the compiler's skills. If the former then all I can presume is that the editor simply communicated what he had received originally and hasn't bothered to check with the compiler, nor spotted that the answer doesn't seem to follow from the clues and neither has the compiler

mop

15 of 18  -   Report This Post

malone

19th February 2020, 21:30
Thanks, Cerasus. As I'm Scottish, it's a word I'm familiar with - too much so occasionally! I've bought newspapers from Caledonia News, had fish suppers from the Caledonian Chippy, booked coach tours through Caledonian Travel...an endless list, really!
16 of 18  -   Report This Post

cerasus

19th February 2020, 21:36
I am not Scottish Malone, but have travelled with Caledonian MacBrayne and British Caledonian Airways, many moons ago.
17 of 18  -   Report This Post

malone

19th February 2020, 22:31
Thanks again, Cerasus - I'd forgotten all about those two! Yes, I've used those as well.
18 of 18  -   Report This Post