CancelReport This Post

Please fill out the form below with your name, e-mail address and the reason(s) you wish to report this post.

Crossword Help Forum
Forum Rules

brendan

9th February 2020, 00:58
I know these things are very subjective but I found this a bit more tricky than usual.

As usual there are quite a lot of anagrams and there are also some very well 'hidden' type clues, which take quite a bit of searching for.

I particularly liked 8d which I thought was very clever and is my COD.

I'm still not sure how 26a works - there are only a handful of words (six, I think) that fit the letter pattern and one jumps out as meaning "knock off" but I can't make sense of the rest of the clue. If "turbulent" is meant as an anagram indicator then what part does "beforehand" play?

Anyway, I'll stick with it and hope for a PDM.

I'll be interested to hear what others made of it so please feel free to leave a comment or ask for a hint if, like me, you get stuck:-)
1 of 13  -   Report This Post

scorpiojo

9th February 2020, 01:23
Good morning. Brendan. I wonder if 'turbulent' is supposed to be a synonym of the last 5 letters....assuming priest 'beforehand' gives the first letter...?
2 of 13  -   Report This Post

brendan

9th February 2020, 01:27
Thanks Jo, that makes perfect sense. I was tying myself in knots trying to make this work - I'd got up to thinking it was a 3 letter Muslim holy man followed by a Greek Goddess! Time for a cold compress and a lie down I think:-) Thanks again Jo.
3 of 13  -   Report This Post

scorpiojo

9th February 2020, 01:31
You are welcome, Brendan. :-)
4 of 13  -   Report This Post

mathi

9th February 2020, 03:17
Lot of anagrams today and therefore it went fast for me. Nichomachus’ name was associated with his native place, if you look up google. So I didn’t have much problem there.
5 of 13  -   Report This Post

mackania

9th February 2020, 12:54
1, 20 & 23 to go.

17d I have an answer in though not sure it's correct.

I'll keep going.
6 of 13  -   Report This Post

mackania

9th February 2020, 12:57
1 is in now.
7 of 13  -   Report This Post

catcharmer

9th February 2020, 17:06
Good afternoon. I've got them all today but would appreciate help parsing a few. I'll give the whole clue and crossers only so as not to introduce spoilers. (Though everyone seems to have done very well today.)

24a: Country song/Edit bananas lacking gravity (7) e?t?n?a As I said, I've got the answer but don't know why.

3d. In audition, smile I supposed to be welcoming expression (2,2,5)
b? m? g?e?t

7d. Where to drink, Everyman? (Everyman, at last, answers.) 'When to drink?' (8) T?a ?i?e?

Thanks.
8 of 13  -   Report This Post

brendan

9th February 2020, 17:11
24a Anagram/Bananas of SON(g) I Eat (minus G(ravity)

3d Is a homophone type clue made up of a word for "smile" + I + a word for "supposed" - definition is a "welcoming expression".

7d 4 letter word for where a child drinks + I + Me + last letter of "answers".
9 of 13  -   Report This Post

catcharmer

9th February 2020, 17:16
Thanks, Brendan!
10 of 13  -   Report This Post