CancelReport This Post

Please fill out the form below with your name, e-mail address and the reason(s) you wish to report this post.

Crossword Help Forum
Forum Rules

gitto

7th December 2019, 10:47
A clever crossword, but juggling 5 different types of clue gave me a headache. I thought the extra words were cunningly concealed, and the omitted/extra letters spelling out thematic words helped greatly. And for once, I checked the setter, which helped with a clue that had been perplexing me for a while.
1 of 47  -   Report This Post

hotelwhiskey7

7th December 2019, 12:14
Totally agree. Almost all of the type 3 clues were pdm’s - so x8 small satisfactions in the sub-solving.

Thanks Nutmeg.
2 of 47  -   Report This Post

planks

7th December 2019, 16:23
I have enjoyed this puzzle. I have the thematic words and the hyphenated word and a full grid apart from 15dn, which I just can't seem to work out, perhaps the jet lag is catching up with me. If anyone could give me a pointer I would be very grateful. Thanks
3 of 47  -   Report This Post

malone

7th December 2019, 16:29
Planks, it's a ii clue - so the wordplay leads to the grid entry. If the answer was one-letter longer, it'd be a common crossword answer to 'children'. The wordplay involves moving the last letter to the top (bottom first) if you had had a four-letter word meaning 'appeals' .

PS I hope this helps, I'm sometimes hopeless at explaining!
4 of 47  -   Report This Post

planks

7th December 2019, 16:34
Got it, thanks malone, a perfect explanation!
5 of 47  -   Report This Post

malone

7th December 2019, 16:36
Phew, Planks, that's a relief! I knew exactly what I meant - and glad it worked for you.
6 of 47  -   Report This Post

smithsax

7th December 2019, 17:24
Another clever puzzle from Nutmeg. Quite tricky remembering the five different types to start with until I spotted the theme and things then fell into place nicely.
One slight quibble with the preamble. The correct letters from type iii clues give two words. I don’t think they can be hyphenated. Thus the “letters from types ii/iii respectively” actually give three thematic words - or a thematic word and a thematic phrase. It was a temporary issue for me as I incorrectly identified a C as the correction in 13 and really struggled to spot the words even with most of the other letters in place.
7 of 47  -   Report This Post

granama1

7th December 2019, 19:12
Hi. I'making steady progress. Got all the spare words and the anagram + the word arising from the type ii clues but have hit a bit of a brick wall. Eg 27a. I think this is a type iii and guess the misprint is in the first word - am I in a blind alley? Similarly 33a I'm thinking there's a typo in the first word and looking for a relative of the revised one. I have all but the 1st, 2nd and 4th which creates an unusual word ending. Hints and nudges v welcome!
8 of 47  -   Report This Post

malone

7th December 2019, 19:28
Granama, you're right about 27 and 33 and right about where the misprints are. 33 A is a slightly odd-looking word, but I think I'd seen it before.
9 of 47  -   Report This Post

granama1

7th December 2019, 19:48
Thanks Malone, I'll plug on. Pretty sure I know what the answer is for 27a and it fits the wordplay (regrettably parted etc). I'll stare at it a while!
10 of 47  -   Report This Post