CancelReport This Post

Please fill out the form below with your name, e-mail address and the reason(s) you wish to report this post.

Crossword Help Forum
Forum Rules

kt17

28th November 2019, 11:53
Thank you for setting me straight, I didn't know the name.

And I should. My late Mum, a Dwynwen, would be looking at me with an arched eyebrow!

M
1 of 7  -   Report This Post

dorrien

28th November 2019, 15:16
..... and she would be the Patron Saint of Lovers!
2 of 7  -   Report This Post

kt17

28th November 2019, 21:38
Indeed so!

And if you don't mind Dorrien I'll drop some more Welsh names...

Mum's little sister was Gwenhwyfar who was one of the first women to be admitted to Cambridge [to study medicine], although she was not allowed to receive her degree until after the war.

Her big brother Iolo became in a small way a legendary (a monogram about him was published) and beloved classics teacher at Cowbridge Grammar School. It was, in the 40's and 50's an austere place to be a school boy, although their academic success was notable. He taught Anthony Hopkins there.

At his funeral a few years ago one of his pupils recounted his memory that the bread served at mealtime was invariably stale: one day the head of kitchen said - in panicked tone - to one of the schoolmasters "I'm afraid we've run out of yesterday's bread - we'll have to start using today's!"

Iolo was at school with Dylan Thomas who was a few years older than him.

Last year I visited the boathouse at Laugharne - a very special place, I was very moved.
3 of 7  -   Report This Post

dorrien

28th November 2019, 22:05
I can certainly remember the bread experience at school - often with marmite and stewed tomatoes on top.

I was born in Carmarthen, minutes away from Laugharne so know it extremely well. Did you have a pint at Brown's?

I shall watch a Child's Chtistmas in Wales this season as I do every year.
4 of 7  -   Report This Post

kt17

28th November 2019, 22:42
Dorrien no I didn't but wouldn't mind returning just to do so on your say-so.

I did though buy a replica of his tea mug, which is a very silly thing to be sentimental about but I use it every day and it causes me to reflect on

"The force that through the green fuse drives the flower
Drives my green age"

https://www.valleymill.co.uk/Dylans-Mug/page/9

But I'm also aware that DT wasn't totally dewy eyed about the country of his birth.

I recall reading that he once said "They call it the 'Land of my Fathers' and the old f***ers are welcome to it."

Laugharne must be one of the loveliest places in the principality though.

5 of 7  -   Report This Post

kt17

28th November 2019, 22:54
Yes! I also have a copy of the Child's Christmas in Wales to read to the littlies in our dark, unwified Christmas outpost - and 'A Visit to Grandpa's and other stories' just in case the bad weather rolls in!

Great minds perhaps although they also say 'fools seldom differ'!
6 of 7  -   Report This Post

dorrien

29th November 2019, 00:43
Well I don't quite share his sentiments of the Land but whilst he felt a need to go to the States, I felt the need to move to Canada. I do not believe that my father would be very happy about the state of the Land these days. A read of the Guardian suggests I made a good choice.

Lovely mug but I am surprised that DT could find room for tea, but I think I will find some room for him on my reading list.

Ych y da
7 of 7  -   Report This Post
Home » Forum » @Dorrien