CancelReport This Post

Please fill out the form below with your name, e-mail address and the reason(s) you wish to report this post.

Crossword Help Forum
Forum Rules

brendan

17th November 2019, 02:04
On the whole I didn't find this too difficult, but there were a few which took me an age to fully figure out.

17d for example, took a lot longer than it should. Mind you, it wasn't helped by me fixating on the wrong Oxford policeman.

13a was another that caused me no end of problems. I think it's either one of those clues you get instantly, or, like me, go down several rabbit holes first.

15a might also cause problems for some without a sporting knowledge.

I don't think 28a will cause any problems, as such, but it's only the second time I've seen a particular 2 letter used to mean 'very good', and the other time was in the Times.

Other than that I thought it was pretty straightforward and good fun, so thank you setter.

As usual, please feel free to leave any thoughts or queries you might have.

I was particularly pleased to see some newcomers post on the thread so, once again, if you're new to the Everyman or this Forum, please don't hesitate to join in - the more the merrier:-)

1 of 28  -   Report This Post

bigmacsub

17th November 2019, 08:54
Morning Brendan, didn't have the same issues as yourself, but didn't think I'd got 17d right until some crossers confirmed, but as you say it's a wavelength thing. I did spend some time trying to discover the works of Wendy Cole!
2 of 28  -   Report This Post

phil10000

17th November 2019, 09:02
Just about perfect for me this week. A number of witty clues raised a smile, some clever anagrams (fewer than usual) and a couple of headscratchers (bottom left). Just one quibble - what's with the subliminal Apple advertising? Some of us use PCs!
3 of 28  -   Report This Post

brendan

17th November 2019, 09:04
Good morning Bigmacsub - "snap" as far as Wendy Cole goes.
4 of 28  -   Report This Post

brendan

17th November 2019, 09:08
Hi Phil, you're right, i hadn't noticed the 'Safari' and 'Siri' combo until you pointed it out.
5 of 28  -   Report This Post

phil10000

17th November 2019, 09:23
Hi Bigmac (and Brendan, of course - great to see you back)
I've only just realised that the definition of 9D doesn't need to be the title of one of Wendy's poems! I've got a few of her collections and searched through them for 15 minutes before the light finally dawned! Such a beautifully constructed, multilayered clue.
6 of 28  -   Report This Post

richardk

17th November 2019, 09:29
Pretty decent this week. I too was cursing the requirement to know the works of Wendy Cope... until I realised I didn’t need to. Clever clue, that.

And yes, I’m impressed that Apple’s marketing department have seen fit to sponsor our setter! Possible clue next week - computer built from back room op? (7,3) 😁

7 of 28  -   Report This Post

cymro

17th November 2019, 09:54
Pretty straightforward until my last two in NW.
12A Patriotic icon to order us about (5/4) ..D.R/ .O.E
1D A telco hosting piece of malware, reveals MP (6) A.B...
Strong hints very welcome!
8 of 28  -   Report This Post

yevrah

17th November 2019, 09:57
Afraid 9d is not coming to me at all, any hints available?
9 of 28  -   Report This Post

yevrah

17th November 2019, 09:59
1d...suggest the in clement weather may be affecting your thinking
10 of 28  -   Report This Post