CancelReport This Post

Please fill out the form below with your name, e-mail address and the reason(s) you wish to report this post.

Crossword Help Forum
Forum Rules

puzzledbob

9th November 2019, 17:13
Brother penning old verse one would see for a bit (7) - can someone help me out with the parsing please? I see that the answer is lorimer and that it is o for old and "rime" for verse, but how does brother give L....R (assuming "penning" indicates the letters enclose ORIME? What am I missing?

Thanks!
1 of 8  -   Report This Post

brendan

9th November 2019, 17:28
I read it as ...

Old Verse = Rime (an old spelling inside

Brother = Lor (an exclamation of surprise, as in "Oh Brother")
2 of 8  -   Report This Post

brendan

9th November 2019, 17:31
I didn't explain that very well.

Basically I was saying the "O" does not mean 'Old' but is there to justify that particular spelling of 'Rime'.
3 of 8  -   Report This Post

samleaning

9th November 2019, 18:27
In addition to Brendan's parsing (all correct) I would like to add that Lorimer is a Scottish surname meaning 'bridle maker' or supplier of horse equipment. So you might well see him or her for a 'bit'.
4 of 8  -   Report This Post

brendan

9th November 2019, 18:32
Thanks Sam, I hadn't realised that I'd neglected to include the definition in my parsing.
5 of 8  -   Report This Post

puzzledbob

9th November 2019, 20:42
Thanks! I did wonder whether rime was "old verse" but lor for brother never occurred to me.
6 of 8  -   Report This Post

brendan

9th November 2019, 21:13
Hi Sam, I wonder if it's just a coincidence that the setter used 'Lor' for 'Brother' and 'Lor imer' as the answer.
7 of 8  -   Report This Post

samleaning

9th November 2019, 22:12
I'd like to know who set this clue, as I'm still not sure how the parsing fully works. But then I am a bit thick.
8 of 8  -   Report This Post