CancelReport This Post

Please fill out the form below with your name, e-mail address and the reason(s) you wish to report this post.

Crossword Help Forum
Forum Rules

jazzlover42

26th August 2019, 10:33
I too agree the 'work in chamber' didn't work. But the definition was sufficiently precise for me to just slot it in.
11 of 19  -   Report This Post

ginge

26th August 2019, 11:22
I don't see a problem with 1d as chamber? Newspaperman are immediately next to each other in the clue (chamberpot is given under chamber). I do have a query with 23d though; Ukraine's IVR is UA rather than UR.
12 of 19  -   Report This Post

malone

26th August 2019, 11:32
Ginge, 'work in chamber' seems more indicative of a word for work in/inside a word for chamber. I was happy with both the words, just didn't like the 'in' joining them!
13 of 19  -   Report This Post

ginge

26th August 2019, 11:36
Hi malone, I think it's just a case of the punctuation being used to mislead as it is "in" (po + ed). Maybe not the best clue but I do think it's "valid". Any thoughts on 23d ?
14 of 19  -   Report This Post

jazzlover42

26th August 2019, 11:42
In my Chambers Ukraine is given as UA. Couldn't parse other than using UR for Ukraine.
15 of 19  -   Report This Post

malone

26th August 2019, 12:11
Thanks, ginge and jazzzlover. I felt it was a slightly poor clue, and mentioned that only because Lumen had. It didn't bother me too much at the time as the answer was pretty obvious.

Re 23, I didn't think much about the UR- I maybe assumed it was the IVR or the internet abbreviation. I'm not very thorough!
16 of 19  -   Report This Post

gerba

26th August 2019, 18:41
Is this the puzzle that used to appear in the Independent on Sunday ?
The one with the Oxford Dictionary as a prize ? I won a whole pile of them and ran out of relatives to give them to. And then I discovered that 2nd hand bookshops don't buy dictionaries, not even mint ones. Mind you in the case of the mighty Inquisitor, I think that 5 ounces of b/w chocolate is a bit of a lightweight reward ..... anyone else ?
17 of 19  -   Report This Post

malone

26th August 2019, 19:52
Hello, Gerba,

No, Inquisitor used to be in the Independent, on Saturdays. The prize was champagne for a while, then champagne or olive oil, then pink champagne, then Prosecco, then a hamper from Hotel Chocolat… and now the rather feeble little box of Lindt chocolates.

The dictionaries were in the Independent On Sunday, both in Beelzebub (a terrific puzzle) and the 'normal' cryptic.
18 of 19  -   Report This Post

gerba

27th August 2019, 08:57
Indeed .Malone, Beelzebub was a real Chambers scourer, bringing to light some very arcane words which would otherwise continue to slumber in the depths of Chambers. Shame I can no longer remember any of them......
BTW I came across a clue the other day the answer to which was Morrison Shelter which, although chambered, is a fairly tough ask for millennial solvers. I can think of many more......
19 of 19  -   Report This Post
Home » Forum » IQ 1609