CancelReport This Post

Please fill out the form below with your name, e-mail address and the reason(s) you wish to report this post.

Crossword Help Forum
Forum Rules

diablos

13th August 2019, 09:34
Good morning to you all and many thanks on this bright and sunny day.
11 of 19  -   Report This Post

brendan

13th August 2019, 09:34
Thanks, and I'd like to take credit, but it was Google that came up with it after I'd tried every other possible parsing I could think of :-)
12 of 19  -   Report This Post

chrise

13th August 2019, 09:53
The classic line-up was John Renbourn (one of the most skillful guitarists I ever saw), Bert Jansch, Jacquie McShee (who alwyas sat to sing, as she shook if she stood!), Danny Thompson and Terry Cox.
They didn't have much chart success (not interested in it, I suspect), but you might remember this:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QqtnLFMDRdg
13 of 19  -   Report This Post

rusty

13th August 2019, 09:54
Good morning, Diablos!
14 of 19  -   Report This Post

chrise

13th August 2019, 10:24
I forgot to say that Pentangle's "Light Flight" was the theme music to this (forgettable) BBC serial
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Take_Three_Girls
15 of 19  -   Report This Post

brendan

13th August 2019, 14:14
Ho Chris, I don't remember Pentangle but listened to the Youtube clip and they reminded me a bit of Steeleye Span and maybe Fairport Convention.
16 of 19  -   Report This Post

chrise

13th August 2019, 14:47
Hi brendan
They were jazzier* than either of the other bands you mention, both of whom I'm also a fan of - the others are considerably longer lived too. We used to hear Fairport Convention at Burnley Mechanics every year. They didn't come this year, but Steeleye Span did instead!

*Terry Cox (drums) and Danny Thompson (bass, acoustic usually) were originally jazz musicians
17 of 19  -   Report This Post

brendan

13th August 2019, 15:21
Couldn't resist it Chris, your mention of Steeleye Span sent me straight to Youtube for a listen to Gaudete :-)
18 of 19  -   Report This Post

chrise

13th August 2019, 15:24
They were bloody good earlier this year, brendan. There were 7 of them (including accordion player John Kirkpatrick's son), and they sang a lot of genuine six part harmony.
Maddy might now struggle to hit the high notes, but the rest of her register was still very fine!
19 of 19  -   Report This Post