CancelReport This Post

Please fill out the form below with your name, e-mail address and the reason(s) you wish to report this post.

Crossword Help Forum
Forum Rules

malcolmxword

13th August 2019, 06:06
Maybe folks can let me know what the etiquette is here vis posting clues. I don't see these posts much in the list - most are solving orientated - though someone did one recently.
Anyway, here's an unusual clue ( in that it doesn't use anagramming or any other device ) :
Bossy mother having one too many ? (11)
1 of 8  -   Report This Post

rossim

13th August 2019, 08:31
Overbearing
2 of 8  -   Report This Post

ginge

13th August 2019, 08:48
Hi malcolmxword, this device (a cryptic definition, usually ending with ? or ! , (instead of more regularly used/recognised wordplay) is known as a pun (type of clue).
3 of 8  -   Report This Post

rossim

13th August 2019, 08:54
Thanks for explaining Ginge, I was called away.
I don't think it's too unusual.
I liked it, assuming I got it right , of course!
4 of 8  -   Report This Post

ginge

13th August 2019, 09:01
Hi rossim, of course you're right. Agreed, while not as prevalent as say anagrams (straight or otherwise), containers, acronyms, substitutions, compounds ... they're not that unusual in "better quality" puzzles.
5 of 8  -   Report This Post

ginge

13th August 2019, 09:08
Hi again malcolmxword, I forgot to answer the question you first posed. With a suitable header, as you've supplied here, it's quite refreshing to see a non-specific clue query.
6 of 8  -   Report This Post

malcolmxword

13th August 2019, 18:31
Rossim, you're quite right. Answer is Overbearing. Sorry it took me ages to reply - can only access this at home on my PC, and just got in from work !
7 of 8  -   Report This Post

rossim

14th August 2019, 09:17
No problem Malcolm. Glad to help.
Thanks for responding. I was away all day yesterday too.
8 of 8  -   Report This Post