CancelReport This Post

Please fill out the form below with your name, e-mail address and the reason(s) you wish to report this post.

Crossword Help Forum
Forum Rules

thepost

10th August 2019, 12:40
There have already been some messages about this puzzle. The setter is Cullen who did the crossword for many years until Saga decided to dumb down and save money. Thankfully he is back. His clueing is always immaculately exact. Therefore, I have a problem with one clue this month. The clue is "Vehicle threequarters full of fodder (4)". The answer is ?H?Y. One would think that it should be ?HAY (the fodder bit). But there is no wordplay for the first letter. In fact it could be "C" or "S" because both CHAY and SHAY mean the same thing - a chaise. Am I missing something or has Cullen been uncharacteristically inexact? If so, which one of chay/shay should be used? I would welcome anyone's views or comments.
1 of 7  -   Report This Post

cerasus

10th August 2019, 12:53
I answered this as SHAY on a previous post as shay is a light carriage and Hay is the fodder.
2 of 7  -   Report This Post

thepost

10th August 2019, 13:02
Yes, thank you Cerasus, I did see your previous post. However, it does not really answer the question. Chambers gives both CHAY and SHAY as the same thing - a light carriage. Without wordplay for the first letter it could be either. Will they both be marked correct? It seems very unsatisfactory unless we are missing something.

Does anyone else have a view?
3 of 7  -   Report This Post

cerasus

10th August 2019, 13:02
Chambers shows chay as informal for chaise which can also be a light open carriage, so I see what you mean. But shay is the more commonly used.
4 of 7  -   Report This Post

cerasus

10th August 2019, 13:03
Saga should really accept either answer
5 of 7  -   Report This Post

cerasus

10th August 2019, 13:13
The 'other forum' have also opted for shay - I just checked
6 of 7  -   Report This Post

thepost

12th August 2019, 10:29
Cerasus - thank you for your comments. I guess I shall have to opt for SHAY.

With only one word option it would be a weak clue. With two words as possibilities it is a terrible clue. I wonder whether Cullen reads these threads?
7 of 7  -   Report This Post