CancelReport This Post

Please fill out the form below with your name, e-mail address and the reason(s) you wish to report this post.

Crossword Help Forum
Forum Rules

gooner

20th July 2019, 22:38
36d " Girl removes clothing, inspiring first of men's slides" (10)

?I???T?I??

32d "Lack of awareness of GOC, one in Cannes surprisingly" (12)

?N?O???S?N?E

Any help much appreciated
1 of 9  -   Report This Post

rocketman

20th July 2019, 22:47
The first one is FILMSTRIPS, the girl presumably being FI and incorporating LM (first letters of lewd and men's)
The other one is an anagram and works out as INCOGNISANCE
2 of 9  -   Report This Post

rocketman

20th July 2019, 22:59
Incidentally, Gooner, with relation to 21 Across, which I have as RING, what game are they referring to in the clue "Sound made by bell in first half of game?"
3 of 9  -   Report This Post

brendan

20th July 2019, 23:04
Hi Rocketman, should Gooner be elsewhere, it's.

PING PONG (Another name for Table Tennis)
4 of 9  -   Report This Post

rocketman

20th July 2019, 23:10
Good Lord, Brendan, a third "ING" ! I was initially torn between "RING" and "DING" !! Anyway, I'll be pleased to go along with your "PING", though a bell would normally work better with a ring to it, I should imagine!
5 of 9  -   Report This Post

brendan

20th July 2019, 23:18
Hi Rocketman, it's such a coincidence. I have just this week finished a book that includes a few paragraphs about Ivor Montagu, who, among other things, established the the first world "Ping Pong" association (The name was already trademarked so they changed it to Table Tennis)
6 of 9  -   Report This Post

rocketman

20th July 2019, 23:23
I've not heard of him, but have been pretty familiar with the Montagu family at Beaulieu in Hants, the late Eddie being the avid car enthusiast!
7 of 9  -   Report This Post

brendan

20th July 2019, 23:37
That's the same family. Ivor was a film director, ping pong player and spied for the Soviets. Ironically, his brother, Ewen, was masterminding Operation Mincemeat, the plan to fool the Nazis in to thinking the Allies were invading Greece and Sardinia as opposed to the real target, Sicily.
8 of 9  -   Report This Post

philm

21st July 2019, 08:53
Good morning, everyone - just to throw another idea into the mix.... we ended up with ding, thinking it was more the sound of a bell as in ding dong, and was half of Dingbats. Any thoughts?
9 of 9  -   Report This Post