CancelReport This Post

Please fill out the form below with your name, e-mail address and the reason(s) you wish to report this post.

Crossword Help Forum
Forum Rules

chrise

20th July 2019, 18:29
...and I would also quibble about the article - I would always use the other one!
11 of 20  -   Report This Post

roof

20th July 2019, 20:53
Many thanks to all of you. I finally managed to solve the long anagram of 12d,1ac, but 9ac still has me stumped. I think I have three out of the four words, but the three letter first word has me stumped. Having said that, with all your help I have managed to get many more answers, indeed the bottom half of the grid is complete . I shall have to complete the top half after Montalbano. I may well be in touch again.
12 of 20  -   Report This Post

roof

20th July 2019, 20:55
Just re-read Chrise's remark re article and all was clear. 9ac done and 1d.
13 of 20  -   Report This Post

roof

20th July 2019, 23:19
Montalbano now finished and just six left to get in top half.

They include 6d and 8d. I'm wondering if I have 6ac right. My crossers for 6d are B?A?????E? The clue is A scream muffled by shout for old competitor. (10) I have a possible answer, but cannot parse it.

For 8d I have E?E?????L. The clue is Gradual increase ultimately in diamonds, a thousand in ring (9) Any hints welcome.
14 of 20  -   Report This Post

proletarian

20th July 2019, 23:35
I think your 6a must be wrong
15 of 20  -   Report This Post

sam

20th July 2019, 23:39
E is not the first letter of 8d. Think of a slang term for diamonds and a synonym for ring and you'll get it.
16 of 20  -   Report This Post

zozozo

20th July 2019, 23:58
For 6 a term for scream (as in laugh/ funny) inside a synonym of shout

Think Rome
17 of 20  -   Report This Post

roof

21st July 2019, 00:18
Thank you Proletarian, Sam and Zozozo

You confirmed what I suspected that I have 6ac wrong. I've understood what I need to do for 6d, but have been unable to think of synonyms for scream and shout. That seems to have been my general problem today. I know the word used for diamonds, but haven't got the word for ring. So I think I'll sleep on it and see if inspiration strikes in the morning.

Again thanks for your help.
18 of 20  -   Report This Post

sunray

21st July 2019, 03:41
roof,
I just solved this. Do not read further if you do not want hints.

Hope I am not spoiling it for you.

6d, think Ben-Hur. 5 letter word for shout and a+ 4 letter word for scream inside.

8d. Two words put together meaning Gradual.

e in diamonds +M.
All in 4 letter word for Ring ending in L.

26/6. Think Illegal Parking.
Cat is not an animal. A 4 letter word to punish.
19 of 20  -   Report This Post

roof

21st July 2019, 10:37
Many thanks Sunray

You've set me on my way.
20 of 20  -   Report This Post