CancelReport This Post

Please fill out the form below with your name, e-mail address and the reason(s) you wish to report this post.

Crossword Help Forum
Forum Rules

williamseal

9th July 2019, 12:11
have not located any other thread on this "Collisions" competition puzzle. I have completed the grid but cannot parse two clues:
18 down : New arrival from Germany, I'll depart wealthy, after profit (7)
The answer seems to be incomer - but where does Germany fit in?
The other one is 14 across. However since this is a collision clue I thought it best to wait to see if there is anyone out there!!
1 of 10  -   Report This Post

ginge

9th July 2019, 12:20
Hi williamseal, I don't do this puzzle so can't help with anything thematic but
18d income + r(ich), ich being I in German.
2 of 10  -   Report This Post

malone

9th July 2019, 12:21
18 Rich would be wealthy
I'll depart = take off the I, which in Germany(from Germany) is Ich,, leaving you the R to add to Income, profit.
3 of 10  -   Report This Post

liz

9th July 2019, 12:27
Down to last few, but would appreciate help with 29a and 31a. Still struggling to work with the special instructions - most of my answers have been more luck than judgement!
29 Liner, maybe? Thousand on one swan,
belly fed with recipe (12)TRA?P?E???MAN
31 Rearing up, returning diploma,
confirmed ‘USA crawling with Reds’ (12) CAP?E????RED
Thanks!
4 of 10  -   Report This Post

williamseal

9th July 2019, 12:48
Hi Liz
On 29 across your third letter A is wrong. The liner is a fisherman and the first half is a sort of Swan
On 31 across the answer begins with a three letter abbreviation for a diploma reversed - think Europe! Again your third letter is wrong
Happy to offer further nudges.
Has anyone managed to parse the second part of 14 - the herald is confusing me
5 of 10  -   Report This Post

peterm

9th July 2019, 13:26
Re 14, if you add "on" to the last 2 letters, you get a 4-letter herald. After collision, the definition is "lack of central coulumn".
6 of 10  -   Report This Post

liz

9th July 2019, 13:32
Thank you - down to last one now - 31a. I have CAB?E?S??RED. (I have not enjoyed this one bit! Might feel differently when I have the last few letters in)
7 of 10  -   Report This Post

peterm

9th July 2019, 13:59
The wordplay for the second part leads to an anagram of USA + reds. "Rearing up" is the definition in the first part and is an accented heraldic term. The collision involves 2 letters.
8 of 10  -   Report This Post

liz

9th July 2019, 14:45
Thank you! I now have a letter in every square - but whether or not they are the right letters remains to be seen!
9 of 10  -   Report This Post

williamseal

9th July 2019, 14:56

Thanks peterm and also to malone and ginge. Now complete.

10 of 10  -   Report This Post
Home » Forum » AZED 2456