CancelReport This Post

Please fill out the form below with your name, e-mail address and the reason(s) you wish to report this post.

Crossword Help Forum
Forum Rules

essay

4th July 2019, 10:36
Hi! Could anyone provide hint to 10a “umbellifer in merrymaking boozer knocked over(8)” ? Also why are 10d & 11d listed as (9) when they both have 10 letters? Is this a feature of Azed (i’m new)?
1 of 12  -   Report This Post

mattrom

4th July 2019, 11:38
10a. Definition is 'umbellifer', (herb)
two words for 'merrymaking + boozer', both reversed.

The wrong letter counts are not a normal occurrence in Azed.
2 of 12  -   Report This Post

jacknatter

4th July 2019, 11:47
Welcome to the world of Azed, the most accurately clued puzzle regularly published in a British newspaper. However, the accuracy of presentation is not always so high, and in 2,455 10d and 11d are both incorrectly enumerated as (9) when they are in fact (10).

Regarding 10a, you are looking for a five-letter word for merrymaking (more often perhaps seen as a verb) plus a three-letter word for 'boozer' (place not person), the whole lot then being reversed ('knocked over'). The definition is 'Umbellifer'. Hope that helps

I don't know if you already have a copy of the Chambers Dictionary (in paper or electronic form), but it is a huge help when solving barred puzzles such as Azed.
3 of 12  -   Report This Post

essay

5th July 2019, 09:18
Thanks JackNatter. I do have a copy of Chambers. Still somewhat clueless but i’ll Continue trying!
4 of 12  -   Report This Post

mattrom

5th July 2019, 09:23
You are welcome, Essay.
5 of 12  -   Report This Post

essay

5th July 2019, 10:01
I finally got it!!...and solved the top half! Any help with the bottom half? Just kidding - i’ll Ask for specifics if needed. Thx again mattrom & JackNatter!
6 of 12  -   Report This Post

jacknatter

5th July 2019, 10:09
essay - I don't know if you are familiar with the fifteensquared site, but the weekly Azed blog which appears there a week after publication of the puzzle (http://www.fifteensquared.net/category/azed/)
is well worth reading whether to check your parsing of clues or to fill in any blanks. Do persevere - I reckon you need to have done at least a dozen Azeds before you start to get properly on his wavelength, but if you enjoy clues that are varied, entertaining and accurate then there is no better place to find them.
7 of 12  -   Report This Post

jacknatter

5th July 2019, 10:12
...and of course other Azed solvers are always happy to provide hints, explanations or answers (together with explanations) on this forum.
8 of 12  -   Report This Post

essay

5th July 2019, 11:44
Ok - just a few more & i’m Done. Could anyone please help with 34a “grudge having to accept aim of Scots with money, the emigre’s lot(12)” - is this an anagram of the last 3 wds?
Also is 33a anything to do with an anagram of Neonics+I? (“Insecticide I introduced, stunnin’ and acceptable(8)”)
9 of 12  -   Report This Post

kirky

5th July 2019, 13:02
34a resent = grudge
ettle = scots word for aim
+ M (money) ......RESETTLEMENT

33a diazinon
10 of 12  -   Report This Post
Home » Forum » Azed 2455