CancelReport This Post

Please fill out the form below with your name, e-mail address and the reason(s) you wish to report this post.

Crossword Help Forum
Forum Rules

kt17

26th June 2019, 21:30
There was rather a marvellous EV last year with the theme of 'Operation Mincemeat'.

In case you missed it there is a BBC4 programme about the story available freely now on iplayer.

An astonishing episode from wartime.
1 of 10  -   Report This Post

malone

26th June 2019, 22:37
KT17, thanks for reminding me of that terrific crossword. It was great in itself, but also introduced me to the really fascinating story behind it all.
2 of 10  -   Report This Post

kt17

26th June 2019, 22:59
Me too Malone, I'm slightly embarrassed not to have known about it...

...but in our favour I think there was a great deal of secrecy surrounding the escapade some long time after the war, probably understandable given security concerns.

Suffice it to say i find the character and competence of the men and women who made it happen - and also the compliance of the top brass - quite inspiring.

Admirable people - the operation must have saved many thousands of lives, and shortened the beastly war.

Mx

3 of 10  -   Report This Post

ginge

27th June 2019, 00:24
Hi both, obviously I concur with your sentiments re the puzzle and the subject matter and thanks for the heads-up re the program kt17.
I imagine there are books about this particular operation in greater detail but The Defence of the Realm (The Authorised History of MI5) is well worth a read (I think it's now available in paperback); it gives an insight into how the operation was incepted from "their" viewpoint and other examples throughout their history together with the history itself.
4 of 10  -   Report This Post

aristophanes

27th June 2019, 04:09
https://www.amazon.com/Operation-Mincemeat-Bizarre-Fooled-Assured/dp/0307453286/ref=mp_s_a_1_1?keywords=operation+mincemeat&qid=1561604254&s=gateway&sprefix=operation+mincemest&sr=8-1i

I read the above when it first came out- riveting. The film version of "The Man Who Never Was" is pretty nifty too.
5 of 10  -   Report This Post

kt17

27th June 2019, 09:21
Thank you Ginge and thank you Aristo, wilco.
6 of 10  -   Report This Post

brendan

4th July 2019, 22:39
I didn't do this crossword but was curious to find out about "Operation Mincemeat", so I went and got the book. I'm about a quarter of the way through and can say it's a thoroughly engrossing read. I would say "you couldn't make it up" but.......people did!
7 of 10  -   Report This Post

kt17

4th July 2019, 22:50
Brendan, I'm thrilled that you're getting the same enjoyment I got thanks to this marvellous crossword, I wish it were available online.

PS The story gets more and more remarkable!
8 of 10  -   Report This Post

brendan

19th July 2019, 06:47
Hi Kt17,

I just wanted to let you know that I have just now finished Ben Macintyte's quite brilliant book on Operation Mincemeat. I'd meant to read just a couple of chapters before i went to sleep but, and I'm sure this will come as no shock to you, i just couldn't put it down and ended up reading it through to the end.

PS. You weren't wrong when you said it just gets better:-)

All the best,

Bren.
9 of 10  -   Report This Post

kt17

19th July 2019, 09:42
Thanks Brendan!
10 of 10  -   Report This Post