CancelReport This Post

Please fill out the form below with your name, e-mail address and the reason(s) you wish to report this post.

Crossword Help Forum
Forum Rules

scarlett

6th June 2019, 13:48
Unclued "left out"

Still searching for 5a......the only one i can find is a "johnny" ???
Letters i have ?O?TE?
1 of 17  -   Report This Post

ginge

6th June 2019, 13:55
Hi scarlett, famous songwriter.
2 of 17  -   Report This Post

scarlett

6th June 2019, 14:09
Thanks ... i even googled that surname! Doh!
3 of 17  -   Report This Post

the_bard

6th June 2019, 14:14
I think both the answers you allude to legitimately fit the theme. The setter can't have thought there are two possibilities. There may be more but it's a bit of a tedious internet trawl - a bit like the 'Conductors' one recently.
4 of 17  -   Report This Post

helveticus

6th June 2019, 15:53
@ginge: Or (same name) a writer and broadcaster. I endorse the_bard's comments about this puzzle being a tedious internet trawl. Let us hope that the crossword editor (Doc) does not let this new setter (CheeseCracker) habitually produce such unsatisfying puzzles (though Doc himself has a track record of producing puzzles which are almost impossible to complete unless one has the current edition of Brewer to hand).
5 of 17  -   Report This Post

drxx

6th June 2019, 16:37
I think the broadcaster has a hyphen but there's possibly an architect too (NF?).
Two others are disputed (AE and LC) according to my own tedious internet search.
6 of 17  -   Report This Post

mattrom

7th June 2019, 00:33
I confess to using a wordfinder for some of the names. They are names I then recognised, however, unlike many in the 'conductors' puzzle.
7 of 17  -   Report This Post

piffleworthy

7th June 2019, 07:14
Although generally straightforward, I didn't enjoy this puzzle much. 5a has three valid entries at least, so this is not fair to the solver. The grid was poorly connected as well.
8 of 17  -   Report This Post

orson

7th June 2019, 10:08
I assume those of you who have had a good look at this puzzle already got it from the Spectator website and yet I found it was down all day yesterday and still is today.

So I was wondering whether it is just I who am having a problem getting through. (My printed copy came in the post this morning as usual though.)
9 of 17  -   Report This Post

orson

7th June 2019, 10:55
It gets weirder. I'm using an Apple Mac and I usually use the Chrome browser. I still cannot get through using that but I have just tried Safari and there is no problem at all.

Is anyone connected with the Spectator reading this by any chance? I do sometime wonder about Chrome, though. Some of you may remember the troubles I had posting messages on here a couple of years ago as Chrome would not let me. I suspect that Chrome is a very controlling browser.
10 of 17  -   Report This Post