CancelReport This Post

Please fill out the form below with your name, e-mail address and the reason(s) you wish to report this post.

Crossword Help Forum
Forum Rules

brendan

21st April 2019, 00:47
Another excellent puzzle with a real feel of the Everyman crosswords of old.

27d is among my favourites even though I've never read any of his books or seen his films. I googled "Numenor" to see if it was there just because it begins with N or if, as I hoped, it had some connection to the author - and it does, excellent.

There's a national anthem and a composer, but both are well known and the cluing is clear. From a personal viewpoint, I was pleased to see a coastal resort where I had many a great time as a child and, later in the nightclubs, as a teenager, so that was nice.

All in all I really enjoyed i -, there are several clever and fun clues and I think regular solvers of the Everyman will be very pleased. Let me know what you think.
1 of 26  -   Report This Post

cosmo1

21st April 2019, 04:56
I can't get 4 down
2 of 26  -   Report This Post

brendan

21st April 2019, 05:24
Hi Cosmo, think of a word that means "cuts" or "does away with" as in 'gets rid of' and is also a word that often follows the terms X and Y .......
when talking about the horizontal and vertical lines on a graph.
3 of 26  -   Report This Post

chrise

21st April 2019, 08:26
14d Measure that monitors monitors? (6,4)
?C?E?N,?I?E
The first word is obvious, but there seem to be two arguably valid words that fit the second (though I admit that one is more likely than the other)
4 of 26  -   Report This Post

cerasus

21st April 2019, 08:49
Time fits perfectly in my view, as a verb and as a noun
5 of 26  -   Report This Post

elle

21st April 2019, 08:54
Hi, Chris!
I have "screen time"
6 of 26  -   Report This Post

chrise

21st April 2019, 08:56
mmm - i thought size was better!
7 of 26  -   Report This Post

smot

21st April 2019, 08:56
Yes, I completed this one before the rest of the family are up!
I got 4d wrong at first - came up with "bars" until I realised 1a didn't work.....
8 of 26  -   Report This Post

elle

21st April 2019, 09:04
Chris, I took it as meaning monitoring time used on the screen.......
The definition of "screen time" is "time spent using a device such as a computer, television, or games console"
9 of 26  -   Report This Post

chrise

21st April 2019, 09:07
hi elle
but if you are comparing monitors, it's the size that matters. it's ambiguous, anyway!
10 of 26  -   Report This Post