CancelReport This Post

Please fill out the form below with your name, e-mail address and the reason(s) you wish to report this post.

Crossword Help Forum
Forum Rules

hannah

12th March 2019, 10:52
Would be pure but for the first temptation(5)
21 of 37  -   Report This Post

hannah

12th March 2019, 11:00
Go after Chuck and be last(5)
22 of 37  -   Report This Post

tyke51

12th March 2019, 13:59
Anglo-Saxon in revolutionary pursuit (5)

Che = revolutionary
23 of 37  -   Report This Post

aristophanes

12th March 2019, 19:01
Epic has erotic sequence to provide relief (5)
24 of 37  -   Report This Post

aristophanes

12th March 2019, 19:08
I must take issue with Chambers. It has chase only as to engrave metal, whereas it often means (more often, I'd say) to form raised surfaces in it.
Also, a chase is a channel for water lines and wires to run through and be accessible. This very common meaning isn't in my edition.
25 of 37  -   Report This Post

tyke51

13th March 2019, 14:38
Bank IT breach a server conceals (5)
26 of 37  -   Report This Post

bigbadmarty2

13th March 2019, 19:30
Good evening, morning and afternoon to everyone !

After a decent early flurry of clues we managed to attract 24 clues from 10 setters.

i liked steve's #14 quibble over "carefully" as an anag.ind.
Paul had a decent hat-trick at #17,18 and 19 - any of which coukd have won on another day.
i must agree with aristo about the relief def, and found this as an example from online OED - ‘A third of all Roman brooches found in Britain have some applied decoration, and most of the rest have relief decoration that is cast in, chased, punched or engraved.’. #24 was also a very good clue in my book.

This week's winner has a rare distinction - I wish I'd written it.

The only possible problem would be the last letter indication which would have proved tricky with apostrophication - but in stroke of genius she just gets on with it and the super smooth surface emerges with wonderful misdirection.

Our winner is mattrom #14 Harry and Charles last name? (5)

Your prize https://www.wimp.com/giant-great-white-shark-thrills-divers-off-oahu/

Thank you all for playing

Marty
27 of 37  -   Report This Post

chrise

13th March 2019, 20:00
Congrats mattrom and thanks BBM2.

I wonder if no-one has posted yet because no-one wanted to be the first to say "the surface didn't work for me". Sorry, mattrom, it didn't do it for me.
28 of 37  -   Report This Post

tyke51

13th March 2019, 20:03
Well done Mattrom - thanks for hosting BBM2 - see you all next time!
29 of 37  -   Report This Post

bigbadmarty2

13th March 2019, 20:19
Well I think it pushes the solver immediately to house of Windsor etc,
"Harry" is an excellent def with it's inherent misdirection.
"Charles" for CHAS is much better than 'one half of cockney double act ' or suchlike.

Maybe folks have other things to do rather than make a comment on a thread straight away,
30 of 37  -   Report This Post