CancelReport This Post

Please fill out the form below with your name, e-mail address and the reason(s) you wish to report this post.

Crossword Help Forum
Forum Rules

unclued

3rd March 2019, 15:52
There seems to be a problem with the posting of my last message so I have started a new thread.
Can someone help me with the parsing of 20ac PIERCE?
Many thanks.
1 of 11  -   Report This Post

ginge

3rd March 2019, 16:25
Hi unclued, it's a (ii) recipe => pierce; (epic + er) reversed.
2 of 11  -   Report This Post

quisling

3rd March 2019, 16:26
It’s a type ii clue, epic and ER. I believe the problem occurs when posts are deleted in a thread, doubtless for well-meant reasons. I think on the other thread three have been removed. But it means that x8, x9 and y0 will not appear until the thread is up to y4
3 of 11  -   Report This Post

ginge

3rd March 2019, 16:30
Hi quisling, the first posts have disappeared from the other thread and I don't think they've been deleted as there was nothing contentious in any, gremlins no doubt.
4 of 11  -   Report This Post

ginge

3rd March 2019, 16:34
Just looked at the other thread again and they've reappeared but now with negative numbering ! Your post is also there unclued plus a repeat of an earlier post from ethik. Definitely gremlins.
5 of 11  -   Report This Post

unclued

3rd March 2019, 16:46
Thanks both of you. All finished now.
20dn is PASTA but is PASTY an alternative?
6 of 11  -   Report This Post

ginge

3rd March 2019, 20:34
Hi again casanova (from the other thread in case anyone's confused).
8, 22 & 40 across.
Should that leave you 1 short in the number of letters required for the maxim perhaps it might be 17a you need to look at again. If so, remember there are no standard clues so what looks like part of the wordplay (normally) is part of the definition here.
Hope this helps.
7 of 11  -   Report This Post

casanova

3rd March 2019, 21:00
Thank you Ginge,

I agree with the three clues, but I hadn’t read the preamble carefully enough. I was thinking that the hungover clues didn’t contribute their omitted letters to the maxim and that the imposters did do so!
8 of 11  -   Report This Post

ginge

3rd March 2019, 21:04
Hi again casanova, I'm glad you've put it to bed. I agree the wording in the preamble is possibly misleading.
Have a good flight.
9 of 11  -   Report This Post

sammina

6th March 2019, 19:11
I have all the 13? letters needed for the maxim, as well as the three 'imposters' in the Ac clues. Now for the drinks, I've found only six. Is there one hidden in the answer to 1ac? I just don't see it!
10 of 11  -   Report This Post