CancelReport This Post

Please fill out the form below with your name, e-mail address and the reason(s) you wish to report this post.

Crossword Help Forum
Forum Rules

teenieleek

21st February 2019, 19:42
A strange crossword I thought. Finished, but the answers to 30ac and 45ac seem not to relate to the definitions and I know not whence cometh the last letter of 8dn. (specially constructed for pedants united, hope youse approve)
1 of 5  -   Report This Post

alwayspuzzled

21st February 2019, 20:18
30a - sagest (sa - sex appeal + gest = romance)
45a - Argyle - sounds like (announced) our guile
8d - i(n)
2 of 5  -   Report This Post

teenieleek

21st February 2019, 21:09
Thanks, I missed the gest = romance. i for in, I thought should have an apostrophe. As for Argyle......these homophones!
3 of 5  -   Report This Post

kt17

21st February 2019, 23:59
Hello Teenieleek

I would defend 8dn - Ci is noted in Chambers as an abbreviation indicated clearly in the clue.

45ac was, I thought rather fun but I follow football where you might not, so maybe it was to me a sitter - to use another footballing term.

I'm inclined to agree on 30ac - I renounce SA for 'appeal' as extinct usage, missed 'gest' and preferred SAFEST as a solution satisfying 'Most Judicious' but couldn't figure any parsing, and as the last remaining solution I ran out of willpower to figure it out!

I didn't find the puzzle strange; my feeling was that the title gave away a lot at first glance but the mild misdirection was a little odd - I would have titled it 'Harris nearly' or similar.

All the best,

M
4 of 5  -   Report This Post

teenieleek

23rd February 2019, 09:58
Thanks kt17

If I ever knew the name of Plymouth’s team it had been long forgotten. Makes sense now,

SA popped up last night in the Kate Atkinson novel I’m reading. However, it is set in 1940!

I thought the use of “b” in so many clues a bit unusual, maybe I just got them first but it threw me a little as I knew Miss A was the theme and couldn’t see a connection with “b”. I was overthinking it.
5 of 5  -   Report This Post