CancelReport This Post

Please fill out the form below with your name, e-mail address and the reason(s) you wish to report this post.

Crossword Help Forum
Forum Rules

ginge

2nd February 2019, 18:27
Hi monkjunk, look up the word given by the 1st 3 letters in Chambers.
11 of 22  -   Report This Post

monkjunk

2nd February 2019, 18:32
Thx for speedy reply ginge. You are a star.
12 of 22  -   Report This Post

williamseal

7th February 2019, 12:20
Can anyone help me parse 39 across:
Draws knowing gesture from brainless American.
I have the answer - a result that is very rare in Rugby Union - but cannot understand the second part of the clue.

I've finished the grid but cannot see how the representation, which you can see form the train, can be expressed in 3,10, 11,4 letters.

Any help appreciated. I've enjoyed this one but will not submit since completion needs assistance.

Many thanks
13 of 22  -   Report This Post

malone

7th February 2019, 12:28
Williamseal, there's a seven-letter word, American, for a 'brainless person'. If you take out a four-letter word meaning 'knowing gesture', you're left with the three-letter rugby word.
14 of 22  -   Report This Post

williamseal

7th February 2019, 12:49
Thank you Malone
15 of 22  -   Report This Post

malone

7th February 2019, 12:59
For the 3,10,11, 4 stuff... it's not all individual words.
16 of 22  -   Report This Post

bazotto

7th February 2019, 20:13
My brain is obviously still in cold storage as I'm totally kerfuffled by the initial letters to both 33 and 36 down. In this instance my BRB is of little assistance - it was published in my O level year and was the first issue priced in decimal currency so it may be slightly lacking. Thank.
17 of 22  -   Report This Post

wintonian

7th February 2019, 20:41
Hi, bazotto,

The first letter of 33dn is difficult to get, and I found it only by going through all possibilities, given the last three letters, in Chambers. I didn’t have to go far down the alphabet, fortunately. The wordplay leads to an obscure Shakespearean word meaning “part of vehicle” (Shakespeare is hinted at by “Stratford”), with the standard abbreviation for “East”, nothing to do with East London and cockney pronunciation. Think of a tool that you might use to smooth irregularities in metal.

For 36dn, the wordplay is “partners”, leading to one of the two bridge partnerships. If you have the last letter, the first letter follows straight away.
18 of 22  -   Report This Post

pka1

7th February 2019, 22:34
I’ve got a full grid and plausible words for the artwork but it would need a ‘U’ as character 3 of the 11, which also starts a word. Sadly there are no ‘U’s in my assortment of non-clued letters. Am I even warm?
19 of 22  -   Report This Post

wintonian

7th February 2019, 23:05
Hi, pka1,

You are certainly on the right tracks here. Have a look at 21ac. The wordplay “Expression of grief” gives the first two letters of the answer, and the third letter is your missing U.
20 of 22  -   Report This Post