CancelReport This Post

Please fill out the form below with your name, e-mail address and the reason(s) you wish to report this post.

Crossword Help Forum
Forum Rules

kt17

7th January 2019, 22:25
I noticed this yesterday when doing the EV (a fun puzzle despite the 'missing trousers' I thought.)

I was looking up 'Russia' in CCCC and noticed a stream of ?typos? ?misprints? under the subheading 'Russian landmarks include'... as follows:

"07 Kreml, Siberi ...
08 Caucas ...
09 Gorky Pa .....
12 Palace Squar, Summer Garde, Summer Pala"

I'm no conspiracy theorist but it gave me a mild Salisbury Cathedral clock moment... I've only found one or two other (minor) errors in this book and found it strange that there should be so many peculiar foreshortenings under one notable heading.

Or could this be a Bletchley Park style code for us to solve?!

(Apologies if this has already been covered here: I couldn't find it in an albeit peremptory search).

1 of 5  -   Report This Post

malone

8th January 2019, 08:24
KT17, I've never seen - and had never even heard of - the CCCC, but found your post very interesting. That whole raft of errors is intriguing - even if someone had had a bad day initially, these should have been picked up at some point in the editing, printing process. I have to say that the mistakes being about Russia adds a little edge, excitement to the scenario!
2 of 5  -   Report This Post

harrhy

8th January 2019, 14:42
I don't know if its the case here but deliberate mistakes are sometimes used as a copyright/plagiarism trap. There is a Wikipedia section on Fictitious Entry which specifically mentions the preface to Chambers' 1964 mathematical tables.
"those [errors] that are known to exist form an uncomfortable trap for any would-be plagiarist"
3 of 5  -   Report This Post

malone

8th January 2019, 16:26
Harrhy, thanks for that interesting information. I like the idea of anything that can cut down on plagiarism, but at the same time I wouldn't be keen to have a copy of a book with such obvious errors!
4 of 5  -   Report This Post

spoffy

8th January 2019, 16:37
...especially if the book were, say, 'A Beginner's Guide to Lion Taming'...
5 of 5  -   Report This Post