CancelReport This Post

Please fill out the form below with your name, e-mail address and the reason(s) you wish to report this post.

Crossword Help Forum
Forum Rules

kt17

13th December 2018, 22:17
I haven't finished this enjoyable puzzle but have got far enough to answer 76D.

'Old railway car - it's cold (4)'

A neat and tidy wordplay, and the answer is in Chamber's.

But I just wonder whether the solution is properly upright and reputable, being an interjection without - arguably - etymological pedigree.

Maybe I'm being precious, but as a newbie solver I just wondered whether anyone else raises an eyebrow over this?

Malone, for example, our doyenne, I'd be interested in your perspective...
1 of 12  -   Report This Post

rusty

13th December 2018, 22:26
"Brrr", seems fine to me.
2 of 12  -   Report This Post

kt17

13th December 2018, 22:35
Apologies, I'll get my coat!
3 of 12  -   Report This Post

mamya

13th December 2018, 22:57
Scarf too, it's chilly ;-)
4 of 12  -   Report This Post

malone

14th December 2018, 06:57
KT17, I didn't think there was anything iffy about the answer - and I quite liked the clue! I think it's 'properly upright and reputable', and I'm sure we've had quite a few interjections in crosswords. 'Pshaw', for example, has featured in the past and it too doesn't have much of an 'etymological pedigree.'

I do appreciate that we can all find some answers unsatisfactory, for various reasons. My pet hate is apostrophised words, as I never feel these look right. We've had things such as 'I'll be bound' - entered as 'Ill Be Bound'. I don't like that - part of me feels there's no such phrase!

5 of 12  -   Report This Post

kt17

14th December 2018, 09:03
Thank you Malone, I feel happier now!
6 of 12  -   Report This Post

blignop

14th December 2018, 12:42
I don't like it when large Xmas puzzles haven't been checked for errors (as in the Xmas Oldie). On the Speccie, at 114 ac is this actually a Spanish city or an Italian one? My mistake or Fieldfare's?
7 of 12  -   Report This Post

kt17

14th December 2018, 12:59
Blignop - maybe Fieldfare was alluding to the period of time when the city was under Spanish rule ; )
8 of 12  -   Report This Post

malone

14th December 2018, 12:59
Remember to read the preamble... that might be relevant.
9 of 12  -   Report This Post

gerba

14th December 2018, 14:03
Despite the source, I found this speccie puzz a lot less than scary.
Ronyon is not in everyday use where I come from but I might just remind you that one of the 3 witches says: 'Aroint thee witch, the rump fed ronyon cries' and she goes on to talk of sailing to see in a sieve, predating Lear (Edward) by a couple of centuries.
I won't mention the play as some of you may be superstitious. Meanwhile I'm off to post my entry, fingers crossed.
10 of 12  -   Report This Post