CancelReport This Post

Please fill out the form below with your name, e-mail address and the reason(s) you wish to report this post.

Crossword Help Forum
Forum Rules

jigjag

2nd December 2018, 20:54
I have just finished this but thought two of the unclued were poor examples of the theme.

They could each be synonyms for 2 of the excluded words
1 of 8  -   Report This Post

cloverjo

2nd December 2018, 21:11
Jigjag, I can't remember what the theme of this puzzle was. Can you remind me please? I've thrown my copy away, and I didn't see a thread about it here.
2 of 8  -   Report This Post

malone

2nd December 2018, 21:33
Cloverjo, it involved synonym-type stuff.

Jigjag, I don't remember much of the detail, but I know I wasn't overly impressed!
3 of 8  -   Report This Post

jigjag

3rd December 2018, 18:47
cleverjo and malone

Thanks -it was about "contranyms" although that word is not in my old Chambers.

But join and connect are synonyms of buckle and antonyms of cleave.

Similar for break and split.

They were poor examples.

It was clearly not an interesting one as there was no thread for a week, possible the first EV with no thread?

Interestingly "Hawk" the compiler managed to get several hawk references in the clues and grid.

4 of 8  -   Report This Post

malone

3rd December 2018, 19:00
Jigjag, I remember spending very little time on that - it was more a question of 'those two words would work', and ' so would these two'. I didn't even look it all over afterwards - maybe there's a unique set of entries that I've missed!

5 of 8  -   Report This Post

orson

3rd December 2018, 19:50
Forgive me if I'm telling you something you already know but I get the impression from these few postings that you've misunderstood the puzzle.

Each unclued word has two quite opposite meanings given by pairs. So cleave can mean both join and split. Buckle can mean join and collapse. Aught can mean something and nothing. A peer can be your equal and also a nobleman superior to you. Etc.
6 of 8  -   Report This Post

malone

3rd December 2018, 19:56
No, it's fine, Orson - I got the stuff about the opposite meanings, most of which I knew already (cleave being the most famous/obvious). I hadn't know there was a term for it! It wasn't a very substantial puzzle, so I didn't find it very satisfying.
7 of 8  -   Report This Post

jigjag

3rd December 2018, 20:10
thanks orson

I understood it but my point was that buckle and cleave were poor examples. As you say, both words can mean join, and also connect, break and split, - 4 excluded words.

Others e. g . peer, aught were good examples

8 of 8  -   Report This Post
Home » Forum » EV 1358